Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does a harmonic balancer go bad? *Update

'90 V6.

I noticed today a strange rattleing noise. As near as I can tell it is coming from the harmoic balancer. The motor only has about 20K miles on it. I don't know if the original balancer was used after the build but I would guess it was, if so it has about 200K miles on it.

Is it possible that the balancer is bad or do I have bigger problems?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rich-
Probably your best bet is make a phone call to a local auto shop and ask them about it. I personally have not heard of such a thing but you might want to ask someone who has dealt with a lot of things coming in and out of the shop. What kind of noise is it making exactly?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Priest said:
'90 V6.

I noticed today a strange rattleing noise. As near as I can tell it is coming from the harmoic balancer. The motor only has about 20K miles on it. I don't know if the original balancer was used after the build but I would guess it was, if so it has about 200K miles on it.

Is it possible that the balancer is bad or do I have bigger problems?
Could it be the water pump?

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The water pump and false water pump idler thing are both good.

I took it into a friends shop this morning and he almost immediatly said that it sounded like the idler/tensioner for the timing belt. He said that this is a farily common failure for those motors. He was going to tear into it in the next day or two and let me know for sure.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got a call from the shop. It appears that somehow the harmonic balancer came loose and was just kind of flopping around. The crank is fine but the balancer did get galled up so a new one is on it's way.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts