Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is two years in a row we've got an attitude from them, this time being a lot worse. I will not ever go there again. Is this normal for them lately? We've been going there for our last minute stuff nad top off gas for the last 8 years, and the last two have been a problem.

We've only started going to Rob's for the last few years, but I will now drive the extra distance right past Ice House and will only support Robs. They have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome and taken care of.

the incident is at the bottom of this thread on our BB if anyoen wants to read it...

:usa:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Only been their for breakfast on the way out a fiew times and YES the resturant people have shitty additudes and the service sucks. Been a long time since ive been in their. Usually hold out till Plaserville.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I quit going there years ago . . . Even before Robb's existed. I never did like their attitude. It was like they were doing the customers a favor by serving them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been there a number of times without ever having a problem. I have also been there and seen people who have had a little to much to "fun or drink" and treat everyone like shit with their demands... I don't know where you guys draw your experience from, but I never had any problems with theft and to see someone set their car alarm while they go into the bar or store is funny. Especially when you can eat and shop with your vehicle in sight.. Its also not like there is a large number of people comming and going. Its pretty slow most of the time.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mtnbronco said:
I don't know where you guys draw your experience from, but I never had any problems with theft and to see someone set their car alarm while they go into the bar or store is funny.
I draw my experiences from first hand occurances we were involved in. We have been treated like shit the last 3 times (twice this time, but I was chocking the first one up to no sense of humor on their part when we joked about the $7.99 price of a can of propane) we went to Ice House. I was personally involved in 2 of the incidents, and the last one (posted in the link in the post above) was from a couple members and a guest of our club. There was no alcohol involved on our part, they hadn't even sat down for dinner yet when it started. VCAS will never again support Ice House. period. I'd urge everyone else to do the same, but to each his own...

:usa:

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Peter, FWIW Del has a real good relationship with the folks at Ice House. I do know they fixed all the lunches for the Appreciation day. They also hosted the first Volunteer Leadership Land Steward workshop this summer. Great people I think. It seems it may be different not knowing them. A bad situation to be in from both sides. Keep an open mind, something may come of it.

Scott

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've always been treated good there. They have been broken into so i cant see where they would chastise someone for protecting their property, seems hipocritical to me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have always had good experiences at Ice House. Yeah, these people are a little back woodsy (OK that's an understatement), but what do you expect? These people live there all year. You're not going to find a socialite in that type of environment. You are obviously free to take your business where ever you like, but as said earlier, the Ice House folks have shown time and time again that they are friends of the Rubicon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok - this is a little new to me. People steal trucks out on the Rubicon?
I've never heard of rig lifted off a trail.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Grizzled said:
Ok - this is a little new to me. People steal trucks out on the Rubicon?
I've never heard of rig lifted off a trail.

No stolen rigs that I know of, but many have been broken into.

FWIW I've always been treated well there, all year round.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been subject to some interesting attitudes from the older employees of Ice House Resort. I gave it very little mind untill the last 2 years, when these attitudes have been IMO very RUDE! And I don't care where you were brought up, or where you live, to treat someone as if they are a peice of crap because of where you preceive they live is wrong. Now, if that "customer" is rude to you first, flame away, nobody must put up with rudeness.

I won't support it, so I will not go there again!

BTW, I also don't listen to Howard Steerns!

·
Registered
176 Posts
sqdave said:
I have never been to Icehouse, but, I have been Robbed at Robbs before. There prices have enough attitude to make me have an attitude to where I don't notice if they have an attitude!
The $2.50 can of propane sells for $7.99 at Ice House resort and $4.99 at Robbs! I don't mind the prices so much, you are paying for your lack of planning when you buy up there, and the $9 burger at Robs is pretty good, but I don't think it's worth $9. But i paid it because I didn't want to wait another 45 min. to get one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
sqdave said:
I have never been to Icehouse, but, I have been Robbed at Robbs before. There prices have enough attitude to make me have an attitude to where I don't notice if they have an attitude!
Dude, do you expect to get the same prices as Wally World? It's not gonna happen. They run off generators for fawk sake. It's gonna be a more expensive. :rolleyes: And the service is ALWAYS better at Robbs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
True, but they're not in the middle of the Outback or some Brazilian jungle! They are only like 25 miles from Placerville. I can see a small price increase, but they wanted $3.00 for a trial size bottle of shampoo! That's just goofy!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
sqdave said:
True, but they're not in the middle of the Outback or some Brazilian jungle! They are only like 25 miles from Placerville. I can see a small price increase, but they wanted $3.00 for a trial size bottle of shampoo! That's just goofy!
If you don't like it, don't go back!!!

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Disco said:
If you don't like it, don't go back!!!

What he said.

I have recieved nothing but stellar sevice from Robb's and I think the prices are very resonable considering that there is not another store (other than Ice House) within 45 min/hour.

I usually dont go to icehouse but the few times that I have the attitude has been crappy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The price gouging that happens in "the sticks" has happened at every general store outpost that I have ever been to. Some more than others, but as I noted above in my one product survey, appearantly Robbs gouges less than Ice house. I personally never expect not to be gouged when going to these types of stores, however I do expect to be treated with some respect and dignity at least untill I do somthing assinine enough to deserve to be treated otherwise. IMO carring a removable steering wheele or small electronics that could easily grow legs should not subject you to bad treatment.

If everyone who goes thru Ice House is so trust worthy, why do they need attendants in the store? Can't they just trust everyone to total their own bill, open the regester, and make their own change? Wouldn't that be a nice world!

·
Registered
234 Posts
In June we were parked our truck and trailer at Ice House Resort. We paid our $5/day and were told to park it to the left of the other rigs in the back. I pulled around through the open field and parallel parked. As I got out of my truck I got slammed by some guy who said I just ran over all his leach field and I would pay for it if damaged. This is an open camping area and there is absolutely zero signs or stakes to mark and buried utilities. When I explained I was only doing what I was explicitly told to do, I just got more heat. Luckly, ther was no damage done, but that was my first and likely my last experience with them unless it is an emergency.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Personally I like Robb's. The people who work and run the place are laid back and cool to talk to. The prices are high, but I don't feel ripped off. We have fixed trucks in their lot, stored tow rigs and trailers there (for a nominal fee ;) ) and sat around for hours prepping and reminiscing trips. I have had more good than bad at Icehouse too, but I like the feel at Robb's better. *shrug*

1 - 20 of 48 Posts