Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, stupid Subject line.

What I'm wondering is where all the guys like Currie and anyone else get their D44's and D60's. Does Dana send them the parts or are they just liscenced to make them?

For example, there are no vehicles out there still in production with YJ width D44's or 60's. However, you can go out and buy one from any number of shops...

What's the deal???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think Sunray takes factory ones and has them sent out to be cut and resplined..Inland truck parts around here can order a new dana axle if you have the build numbers off the axle housing..Are you talking about the whole axle or just the innerds? (just thought about it)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about the casting and the tubes mostly. Pretty sure the Terra 60R is home made with the tubes pressed in, but what about the rest???

Do they have their own castings and tubes or do they get them from like Dodge and cut them....????

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I think Dynatrac has Dana make their castings for them.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Well that's a pretty big trade secret, and I don't think you'll likely find an answer - for the very reason you're asking - why pay the middleman??

Or you'll find whoever casts them won't sell retail / small quantaties.

I poked around this a bit a while back - I don;t think any of the common shops have Dana do the castings - the quantaties are just far too small. But someone casts them just nobody's saying who

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw a note from Phil Jenson saying that he had a contact at Dana/Spicer to buy stock D44 TJ axles. You may be able to buy other parts as well. Look at the archives of the TJ Email list. Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for this list:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Good Luck,

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Don A ]

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Don A ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Don A:
<STRONG>I saw a note from Phil Jenson saying that he had a contact at Dana/Spicer to buy stock D44 TJ axles. You may be able to buy other parts as well. Look at the archives of the TJ Email list. Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for this list:
[email protected]
[email protected]

</STRONG>

Phil just posted some pictures. Check them out.

-----------------------------------
Subject: My new rear TJ axle arrived from Drivetrain Direct.

Note: These will be avaiable soon for purchase for a fraction of the
cost of a D60 from that other place ;-)
http://jeep-club.irtech.com/Phils_Mods/corp14.jpg
http://jeep-club.irtech.com/Phils_Mods/Corp14diff.jpg
http://jeep-club.irtech.com/Phils_Mods/Corp14floater.jpg
http://jeep-club.irtech.com/Phils_Mods/corp14brake1.jpg

Contact me directly if you want more info on a Corp14 axle for your Jeep.

Phil

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Don A ]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don, I tried the links, but couldnt' find anything pertinent to the whole Dana Spicer thing in the archives. (didn't look that hard though)

That thing is sweet!!!! Who is this Phil guy, and what's his deal???

I want one. (I want the $$$ to pay for it too...)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by wrangler40:
<STRONG>Don, I tried the links, but couldnt' find anything pertinent to the whole Dana Spicer thing in the archives. (didn't look that hard though)

That thing is sweet!!!! Who is this Phil guy, and what's his deal???

I want one. (I want the $$$ to pay for it too...)</STRONG>

Yea, it does look beefy.

Phil has a friend that works at one of those parts places (Dana/Spicer/Drivetrain) and has done some "deals" in the past on buying TJ stuff (axle shafts, etc) for much less $$ than other parts houses. I don't know him and I have never been part of one of his "deals," I'm just passing along some info I saw on a Email list. If you are interested, send him an Email.

Good luck,

--Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts