Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if dumb question (I am sure I will be told if it is), but does the "FJ" in any Toyota FJxx actually have a meaning? Is it an acronym for something?

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
"Fully Jacketed"

Sorry, couldn't resist :flipoff2: To answer your question I have no idea, but if anyone does it'll be someone from here :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
F is the engine code for an inline 6 cylinder gasoline engine.
B is for an I4 diesel, H is for an I6 diesel. There are others as well.

J is for the vehicle it's better than :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I always thought that F meant the motor designation. And J meant htat the vehicle was assembled in Japan.

So, an FJ40 had an 'F' series motor built in Japan.

As opposed to a VZN-120 (4runner or Taco?) which would have a vz series motor, and built in North America.

Then again I could be :smokin:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Hmmm, ....by chance could the "F" stand for the type of head on the LandCruiser sixes? IOW, do the F and 2F engine heads mimic the design of F-head engines?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I've been told it is foreign jeep, and I've read it somewhere but I can't remember where maybe the LC owner's bible by Moses Ludel? The initial ones didn't have F motors. The first gas motor I believe was a B which is weird because the Bs went on to be diesel motors. Originally it was called the Toyota Jeep but Willys said their was a tradmark violation. So August 15, 1954 it became the Land Cruiser. I believe it was named by Mr. Hanji Umehara. Neither the B or Toyota Jeep has an F in it so I would say it became FJ because of the F motor and not foreign. I guess I need to get out my LC history books and refresh. Also, the 100series is not an FJ. It is a UZJ. Following the 2UZ V8 designation. There is a FJ105 with a 1FZ available in non US markets witht he solid axle. So the FJ does exist. It will be interesting to see what the Vin is on the new FJ Cruiser and if they will change the motor name of the 3.4 v6 it is supposed to have to include a F in that motors name? I'm guessing Toyota NA doesn't care about that part of history.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Oh and one other thing, the 1997 40th anniversaries were 40th to the US. I still think that is wrong. I was thinking the 91 or the 94 should have been the 40th. I believe Australia got a 40th anniversary in 1994. It is all about Toyota NA marketing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Look in the first few pages of a Spector catalog. It has a story of the birth of the Cruiser.
It says that BJ (the first Cruisers) were called that because back then, these were "Toyota Jeeps", "B" was the type of motor, and "J" stood for "Jeep model". That was back in 1950. SO, after the Cruiser was equipped with an F-type motor, The 'J' is still there from yesteryear, and so it's called the FJ. F motor, Jeep model. In 1954, the "Toyota Jeep" became the "Land Cruiser". So I guess technically, if you want to count anniversaries, last year it was Land Cruiser's 50th anniversary!!
:D :D

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Swaycat said:
Look in the first few pages of a Spector catalog. It has a story of the birth of the Cruiser.
It says that BJ (the first Cruisers) were called that because back then, these were "Toyota Jeeps", "B" was the type of motor, and "J" stood for "Jeep model". That was back in 1950. SO, after the Cruiser was equipped with an F-type motor, The 'J' is still there from yesteryear, and so it's called the FJ. F motor, Jeep model. In 1954, the "Toyota Jeep" became the "Land Cruiser". So I guess technically, if you want to count anniversaries, last year it was Land Cruiser's 50th anniversary!!
:D :D
i like georgs answer much better :flipoff2:

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've heard foreign Jeep too. It's funny that Jeep is trademarked because it was just a nickname at first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts