Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been thinking about this for a while now. It is widely accepted that Ruger makes the strongest wheel gun. I have had an aversion to Ruger for years for several reasons, the least of which is the aesthetics of their products.

I have been in love with S&W revolvers for YEARS, ever since I shot a Model 29 many years ago. The look, the feel, everything about them. I want a 629 6.5" with full underlug, but I really want the strength everyone raves about in the Ruger.

To get right down to it, I would Love to have a Super Redhawk with a 6.5" barrel, but I want the barrel to have the same profile from frame to muzzle. The way that it necks down to a round barrel looks like crap to me.

I've heard tell of people putting Colt Anaconda barrels on Redhawk frames. I found a couple pictures, and I think it looks great.

I like that Anaconda barrel, but I like the solid rib of the 629 better.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly aesthetics.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, they do not. I believe it's Gary Reeder or maybe Bowen who does the Anaconda barrel conversions.
That is unfortunate. It is Bowen for sure. That is where the second picture came from :) (it is a Bowen conversion). Bowen is who I had intended to contact about this if Ruger didn't make one. I am going to look into Gary Reeder as well.
If you want a short barrel, look at the Alaskan series.

I do not want a short barrel, I want a 6ish" barrel as evidenced by me stating such in my first post, and illustrating by showing pictures of the three example guns with barrel lengths ranging from 6.25" to 7.5". If I wanted a short barrel, don't you think I would have gone and purchased an Alaskan already?

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think a Bowen custom with Hogue grips in .454 or .45 LC would fit the bill. .44 magnum at the very least. Of course I would intend to reload for it (or let Chris squash together some wrist snappers for me :evil:)

·
III
28,132 Posts

I do not want a short barrel, I want a 6ish" barrel as evidenced by me stating such in my first post, and illustrating by showing pictures of the three example guns with barrel lengths ranging from 6.25" to 7.5". If I wanted a short barrel, don't you think I would have gone and purchased an Alaskan already?
Really? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Keep your stupidity in GCC, it's not welcome here.
Chris thanks for the advice we need guys like you to keep people like me in line.:shaking:

Stupid would be ruining a redhawk to make it resemble a inferior firearm. Kinda Poserish if ya ask me.

And yes I know all about all the less than intelligent things Bill Ruger did.

It is a free country so to the OP do it if ya want. My reaction is still WTF.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris thanks for the advice we need guys like you to keep people like me in line.:shaking:

Stupid would be ruining a redhawk to make it resemble a inferior firearm. Kinda Poserish if ya ask me.

And yes I know all about all the less than intelligent things Bill Ruger did.

It is a free country so to the OP do it if ya want. My reaction is still WTF.
So you've never done something just to be different? I think it would look bad ass.
I've never cared what the purists thought about my firearm mods. I never will.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
So you've never done something just to be different? I think it would look bad ass.
I've never cared what the purists thought about my firearm mods. I never will.
It is your money and as I said it's a free country. Go for it if you want I just stated my opinion. Ruger may be king of the .44s but you could always get a .460 or a .500 Smith, they are bad ass.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is your money and as I said it's a free country. Go for it if you want I just stated my opinion. Ruger may be king of the .44s but you could always get a .460 or a .500 Smith, they are bad ass.
Yeah, but who says I can only get one revolver?

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Is the purpose aesthetics or weight?
The redhawk is heavy enough :laughing:

I don't like either one due to weight, that is why I shoot a super blackhawk.
I don't have the necessity for a double action 44 mag.

·
III
28,132 Posts
The redhawk is heavy enough :laughing:

I don't like either one due to weight, that is why I shoot a super blackhawk.
I don't have the necessity for a double action 44 mag.
Comparing apples to apples (5.5" barrel) the SBH weighs 4ozs less than a Redhawk. There's so little difference between 45 and 49ozs at that point as to be wholly negligible.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts