Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a shop today and saw a few rigs with currie sway bars on rear and wanted to know if anybody else runs a sway bar on the rear along with their links. If so, what do you notice most with it vs without it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Bass Man said:
I'm guessing body roll and anti-roll over stuff... Less articulation though.
Surprisingly there was not a whole lot of loss of articulation on my friends sami with the currie bar. His truck had an unbiased flex with rear doing most of the work not to mention roll.
After instaling the rear swaybar his flex was a lot more even front-rear and the body roll was evidently reduced. I was pleasently surprised...
... however, my other buddy with almost identical truck is running a retrofited TJ sway bar and the results are not the same. He has a quick disco setup as the TJ sway bar really limits his travel.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep - the shop guy told me it had to be the Currie set up and and anything else would limit the articulation way too much. Said the loss of articulation was barely noticable and he found the rear end hooked up and grabbed much better with the Currie.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just finished up installing a Currie set up in the rear of my rig. I was having some torque flex issues, and the rear flexed way easier than the front. The sway bar seems to have eliminated the torque flex, and now the front to rear flex is much more balanced. I didn't lose any flex travel, but im only running 14" travel shocks. So far it seems to be a huge improvement overall. -marty

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
martyfowler said:
I just finished up installing a Currie set up in the rear of my rig. I was having some torque flex issues, and the rear flexed way easier than the front. The sway bar seems to have eliminated the torque flex, and now the front to rear flex is much more balanced. I didn't lose any flex travel, but im only running 14" travel shocks. So far it seems to be a huge improvement overall. -marty
I might be in that same boat since I have front YJ Leafs and a rear 4link. That's why I am considering the rear swaybar.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
ZONA said:
I might be in that same boat since I have front YJ Leafs and a rear 4link. That's why I am considering the rear swaybar.
Yup. With your setup you need the currie bar. You will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
That's wierd. I have YJ's in the front and 3 link coil rear and I'm about 50/50. Seems to me people just need to figure out the right placement of the rear air shocks/coilovers.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Placement of the spring is key. Even more important then the rate itself, unlike your truck Bill most people inboard their coils on samis and I made a blanket statement that applies to 80% of the crowd.
The other 20 will know what they're doing and don't need my advice anyway ;-)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
PS...
When did you move to PNW????
We gotta talk...

·
Registered
191 Posts
the lower mounts on my rear air shox are within 1" of the brake backing plates. they are leaned in 10* and leaned forward 5* at the top. that is supposed to be proper placement, but i still needed the sway bar. also, im running 400cc's of oil in the rears, for the stiffest spring rate possible. -marty

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Bill4rest said:
That's wierd. I have YJ's in the front and 3 link coil rear and I'm about 50/50. Seems to me people just need to figure out the right placement of the rear air shocks/coilovers.

Your links play a roll in how much body roll you will have. One advantage to a 3 link + panhard is you can easily get the roll center up high which helps cut down on body roll. Most triangulated or double triangulated 4 links have packaging issues which prevent placing the links for a high roll axis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts