Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is 'hard core' or not.

anyway...I'm wanting to put rear ford springs on the front of my '79 chebby fullsize. Only thing, is I don't want to kill the approach angle with big ol' shackles in the front. So, I was thinking of getting some lift springs for a ford. Then there's the troubles with putting a rear spring on the front and making sure the angle is right and steering geometry isn't fawked. And also, figuring out what size lift spring to run on the front to get roughly 4-5" of lift out of it. Of course...I'm still trying to figure the pro's and con's between doing the lifted ford spring to doing the stock ford springs. I want to be able to drive it on the highway after I'm done.

Any tips/info would be greatly apprecitated :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are going for low $, I would rebuild your front mounts to drop the front eye a little, and then move your rear hanger back, and run a longer shackle. That way you can build however much lift into your mounts. I was looking at using them when I convert my 2wd to 4wd, but since then have found a set of coils that I am going to try.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Come on guys I had this thread moved here because could be good Chevy tech.

I thought there were some smart people who use this forum. Don't prove me wrong. :p

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I've already given my views on the CK5 thread.

In short, I think they are too soft for the front, too much impact on approach angle, and the asymetric nature of the spring could cause problems (depending on mount and shackle geometry) with pinion angle and castor when articulated.

Longer front springs would be good, but I'm not so sure about that one. AZ4x4 (norulz) does VERY well with F350 rear springs in the front, but he took a few leafs out, still much stiffer than a F150 57"...

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I have to agree with Baddog.Putting that long of a spring with that much offset in the pin is going to act really wierd.There will be too much drop and the pinion will start pointing to the ground causing the joint to bind,not to mention what will happen will the steering during all of this.Blazin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts