Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talked with one of the local steel shops today about getting some dom tubing for the cage... the qouted me $9.35/ft. <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> now i know anyone who pays that is just begging to get bent over. what should i be paying for this magical dom? i was qouted $2.75/ft on erw tubing? think that's what it was. i was expecting the dom to be in $3/ft range. anyone got any recomendations on where to get some cage tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Originally posted by poppyseed:
<STRONG>talked with one of the local steel shops today about getting some dom tubing for the cage... the qouted me $9.35/ft. <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> now i know anyone who pays that is just begging to get bent over. what should i be paying for this magical dom? i was qouted $2.75/ft on erw tubing? think that's what it was. i was expecting the dom to be in $3/ft range. anyone got any recomendations on where to get some cage tube?</STRONG>
I use DOM seamless tubing (1.75"OD x .120" wall) in my cage, and it wasn't cheap, but it wasn't $9.35/ft. I think it was about $4.00/ft, but I can't remember. But I don't worry about the strength of my cage.


<IMG SRC="smilies/trooper.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm looking for about 120ft of 1.75 .120 wall. i'm not worried about strength just don't like getting raped at the checkout line. <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> i've bought a lot of steel at this place and most of their prices are competitive but this $9.35 b.s. is never going to happen. hell it'd cost me $1122 for just the tubing.
 

·
Wish it was my job!
Joined
·
2,106 Posts
Originally posted by poppyseed:
<STRONG>well i'm looking for about 120ft of 1.75 .120 wall. i'm not worried about strength just don't like getting raped at the checkout line. <IMG SRC="smilies/wink.gif" border="0"> i've bought a lot of steel at this place and most of their prices are competitive but this $9.35 b.s. is never going to happen. hell it'd cost me $1122 for just the tubing.</STRONG>

I have a place in dallas that sells DOM 1.5" .120 wall... $2.50 a foot... in 1 foot increments. I paid over $5 a foot awhile back. I found the place by asking the question of a guy that builds cages for a living... fine someone who does it near you and ask him where he buys his tubing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,319 Posts
I buy tubing weekly, and at my cost 1.75" .120 wall DOM went for about $2.77 a foot. Thats at wholesale. It also depends if the yard you buy from stocks it, and remember DOM comes in random lengths, so you could end up getting more than you need or a little less. For example I needed around 80' and I wound up getting just under that, I got 4 sticks that where anywhere between 18' and 22'. It also depends how much you need small quanities means your going to pay. Just last week we need a piece of 2 1/8 .188 wall and it cost me around $170 for one piece of tube! Tell ya the truth I can't see the reason why you would want to use DOM, HREW is fine. But it's only money. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,319 Posts
HREW, works fine. I the only time that we use DOM is when the rules call for it. The price on 1 3/4 .120 wall is about $23 a stick. I think that's alot cheaper, however 2" .120 is only $24 a stick, why not use 2"? Are you planing on doing the cage internal or are ya cutting? <IMG SRC="smilies/eyemouth.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm thinking 1.75 would be perfect. that's a big price differance for the hrew. sounds right for my budget. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> i want to get rid of most of the body and replace it with tubes. oh, and i don't want to die. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,957 Posts
Originally posted by poppyseed:
<STRONG>i'm thinking 1.75 would be perfect. that's a big price differance for the hrew. sounds right for my budget. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> i want to get rid of most of the body and replace it with tubes. oh, and i don't want to die. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
I have rolled mine 4 times with my cage....im doin ok...
<IMG SRC="smilies/jeep1.gif" border="0">

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,881 Posts
Poppy-you should talk to Jason, he buys lots of tube locally. He'll know where to get a fair deal. Unfortunately for you he's at the Hammers til Saturday or Sunday though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
What do you use to bend tubing? I know there are pipe benders for cheap on the market, but what about cheap tube benders. Why not use pipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by fatkid:
<STRONG>Are ya thinking exo? we used 2" for mine, and it's taken some hard hits. <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
thinking exo fatty <IMG SRC="smilies/shy.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I got 40 feet of the 1 3/4" x .120 wall dom for $60.00 at our local shop <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,319 Posts
Originally posted by Mud Lite:
<STRONG>What do you use to bend tubing? I know there are pipe benders for cheap on the market, but what about cheap tube benders. Why not use pipe?</STRONG>
We use a JD2 Bender. The bender is cheap, it's the dyes that cost cash. We As far as pipe it's just not as strong as tube from what I understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
first off don't use pipe. its more brittle, teds to crack on hard impact instead of bending which is what you want. yes hrew is weaker than dom. I have split hrew before (strangly this happened when I used it to hold a bushing in my suspension, musta froze over winter) but the cage has never been a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,957 Posts
Poppy, that shop here in Sac S&K steel sells the 1 3/4 .120 wall for $1.85 a foot....thats $37 for 20'.

Just to give you some other ideas of what things cost...
6x2 .188 (1/4 wall, I use this for bumbers) $5.25 per ft.
1 1/2 Sched 80 Pipe (works good for shackle mounts...just buy bushings and slide in these) $2.75/ft

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's a price i can live with. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> thanks for checking rude. now i just gotta get the engine in and it's cage time <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Just go with ERW. DOM is way overkill for this sport. Most of the buggies you see on this site are built with ERW, just ask Lance what he used in his.
<IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/usa.gif" border="0">
 
1 - 20 of 136 Posts
Top