Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as scared as I am to post in the HC section I think this is the best place for this. I built the backhalf and cage in my TJ about a year ago and have been running it with the factory half doors since. I have been thinking about selling the doors while they are still in decent shape and installing some door bars. Unfortunately the way we build the cage I am having difficulty figuring out how to add them.

The front down bar is pretty far under the dash making it difficult if not impossible to get a weld all the way around a tube connecting to it., the B-pillar is stock.

This is the best pic I have right now but shows how it is. Like I said the build is done and all welded up so I cannot remove it without cutting it all apart. Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Rip the dash out and flat dash it ala GoVols. Then you'll have room to weld. Thats what I did!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you want a door or a bar to climb over? You could angle the hinges and lock so that the door part is actually in the door opening

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is a great idea. I wonder if they are plenty strong to use on both ends that way I could make it removeable?
Yes - I have my spare mounted horizontally in the bed of my TJ with 4 of them mounted on the B and C pillers ( 35" tire). That way I can remove it and the mount to haul stuff Those things clamp tight

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you want a door or a bar to climb over? You could angle the hinges and lock so that the door part is actually in the door opening
Yeah I don't get it but I just want a single bar that attaches to the B-pillar above the body and runs at an angle down almost to the floor under the dash. I just can't figure out how to weld the bar to the bar under the dash because it's so close to the side of the jeep.

Yes - I have my spare mounted horizontally in the bed of my TJ with 4 of them mounted on the B and C pillers ( 35" tire). That way I can remove it and the mount to haul stuff Those things clamp tight
Cool thanks for the help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Drill a hole on the body with a hole saw, stick gun in and weld, fix hole in body?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I don't get it but I just want a single bar that attaches to the B-pillar above the body and runs at an angle down almost to the floor under the dash. I just can't figure out how to weld the bar to the bar under the dash because it's so close to the side of the jeep.

Cool thanks for the help.
How much can you weld of the bar? 25.5 SFI standards says you must put gussets around the tube that you can't weld all the way around for race cars.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much can you weld of the bar? 25.5 SFI standards says you must put gussets around the tube that you can't weld all the way around for race cars.
Without looking at it maybe 40-50% depending on where it attaches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts