Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I think i would back it up a little, to get some weight off the hitch. You want some weight but not that much.
Shane

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
64rovr said:
looks way too far forward

if you cant move it back see how it is with the truck on backwards.
i took it for a ride and it seamed to wigle not when i was going straight but if i bumed the steering wheel it would wigle 2 or 3 times then go straight and if i went around a curve in the freeway it would wigle alittle so i moved it up 6" and now i think it is to far up allso but not sure

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
That is an awful short trailer - back it up ALL the way to the back, or else turn it around. That is far too much tongue weight the way you have it set up now.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
GO TO SCALE AND MESS WITH IT.....

WEIGH THE TOW RIG ALONE........

THEN ATTACH THE TRAILER AND PULL THE TOW RIG ONLY ON THE SCALE.......THE AMOUNT ADDED IS THE TW.....

I DID THIS WHEN I GOT MY TRAILER.
I MOVED MY CRUISER 1" ON THE TRAILER AND CHANGED THE TW
ABOUT 100LBS
NOW I HAVE A SET SPOT ON THE TRAILER I ALWAYS LINE IT UP ON.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:

THEN ATTACH THE TRAILER AND PULL THE TOW RIG ONLY ON THE SCALE.......THE AMOUNT ADDED IS THE TW.....

What should the weight increase with the rig on the trailer? hows that work? I've always used trailers setup that it "just worked"

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

What should the weight increase with the rig on the trailer? hows that work? I've always used trailers setup that it "just worked"
you are adding weight to the tongue (TW = tongue weight).

Same principle as adding 4 bags of mulch in the back end :p

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
DRM said:

you are adding weight to the tongue (TW = tongue weight).

Same principle as adding 4 bags of mulch in the back end :p
I understand that part;) ...but how much weight added by the rig you are loading on the trailer is acceptable? Is there a guide somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

I understand that part;) ...but how much weight added by the rig you are loading on the trailer is acceptable? Is there a guide somewhere?
Your hitch will have a tongue weight rating stamped on it with the rest of the info - probably in the 500lbs range...

But that is just a max - I generally just try to level the the trailer so the suspension on the trailer is not loading one axle more than the other. This generally puts everything about where it should be, and the tongue weight and tow vehicle levelling is ok too :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:

I DID THIS WHEN I GOT MY TRAILER.
I MOVED MY CRUISER 1" ON THE TRAILER AND CHANGED THE TW
ABOUT 100LBS
NOW I HAVE A SET SPOT ON THE TRAILER I ALWAYS LINE IT UP ON.
where can i go to get it weighed in sac.? i was going to go to the dump but did not think thay would let me do it there.or the chp truck weigh thing on the highway but did not wont to go there

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
toy 4 rox said:
i posted there allso but it dosn't get much trafic and i wonted to get toy input and i thought it would be more jeep there
Sorry, I thought they would be more helpfull, guess the Newness of the fourm wore off:D

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
There is a scale on North Antelope Road before the wrecking. I think the name of the company is Taylor Heavy Duty Trucking. Or look in the yellow pages under Public Scales.

My buddy has a trailer like that. He used to tow it with his Durrango and he always backed his rig on!!!.:D

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
with a bumper pull you want around 10% of total trailer weight as tongue weight:

5000lbs total trailer weight should yield 500lbs tongue weight

1 - 20 of 31 Posts