Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a lexan-like material to make a windshield. I was told lexan isn't DOT approved for the street. Any ideas? I'd like something that doesn't scratch easily and won't cost me my left nut.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i thought i saw on the speedglas page that it was D.O.T. approved but i dont see it there on that page. I believe it is legal though

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it will work. Expensive as a mofo though. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Don't use that cheap ass Home Depot stuff. ChrisE used it and you had to lean out all the time to see anything. Scratches super easy and sunglare is horrible. Might save you a few bucks while you wander through the aisles at HD. If you come up with a cheap solution, I'd like to know. I'd love one on my buggy.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm finding stuff about polycarbonate. Some say it scratches, some say it doesn't. A guy named rugburn sells it here on pirate. I'm not too concerned about DOT approval. I just want to get a windsheield back on so I can drive to the trail.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Speedglass made by Percy's High Performance is a Lexan based plastic with a special silicone layer sprayed on after in a "clean room". It's next to unbreakable (as far as glass and plastics go), but NOT Dot approved...that's the only drawback. You have to have safety glass with the little mark in the bottom corner to make the DOT happy.

Talk with Scott at Rockstomper...he's got them for Yota's Rockstomper

·
Registered
860 Posts
i used a sheet of plain plexy glass and its still in there after about 3 months. cut it down with a little 3 dollar tool and used sheet metal screws to hold it in. put a few coats of clear silicone around it to make it water proof and put some black 1/2" wide duck tape around the border to hide the screws and look like weather stripping. its worked great so far and you cant really tell the differance, except theres not that navy blue tinted strip at the top. but oh well. that was my $40 solution to a bad rollover that fucked up my windshield frame!!

BTW, i bought it at orchard, its good stuff! but illegal:flipoff2: i dont care

·
Registered
228 Posts
pmurf was right. The worst thing about the cheap lexan is not only the scratches but when the dust from the dirt road gets on it, it just sticks. Trying to wipe it off only smears it, and you're virtually blind on the trail if heading into the sun. The only way I found to clean it was the power wash inside and out. It sucks besides being illegal. I may put a glass windshield in my cage frame,

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yota Krawler said:
i used a sheet of plain plexy glass and its still in there after about 3 months. cut it down with a little 3 dollar tool and used sheet metal screws to hold it in. put a few coats of clear silicone around it to make it water proof and put some black 1/2" wide duck tape around the border to hide the screws and look like weather stripping. its worked great so far and you cant really tell the differance, except theres not that navy blue tinted strip at the top. but oh well. that was my $40 solution to a bad rollover that fucked up my windshield frame!!

BTW, i bought it at orchard, its good stuff! but illegal:flipoff2: i dont care
Does it scratch easy? How do you clean it? Plexy glass is different that lexan, right?

·
Registered
860 Posts
85runnerAZ said:

Does it scratch easy? How do you clean it? Plexy glass is different that lexan, right?
well i'v been stupid and used my windshield wipers a few times, but i was suprised it didnt scratch at all. i'v basically washed it with the squeegee's they got at shell and it came clean. plexy glass is a lot more breakeable than lexan. but its a shitload cheaper

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Plexi is not UROC-legal because it shatters if you hit it hard. Lexan is a very different beast.

Neither is DOT approved. Anything other than "safety glazing material" is illegal to install in a vehicle windshield application in California (not sure if it matters) but most other states don't have a law regarding it.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Anybody concerned about the stuff shattering if a rock hits it or you flip your rig?

Hadn't heard much mention of it yet.....just price and visibility.

Jay

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, if you're wearing your seatbelt you should be ok. Of not, you are gonna get some new piercings.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
e said:
I wouldn't worry about a rock shattering it. Check out the video on the ROCKSTOMPER site. http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/windows.htm
At the risk of becoming an A-hole... and in case it's unclear...

THAT'S NOT PLEXI!!! IT'S LEXAN. THAT WILL SHATTER PLEXI.

Sorry... it just wasn't clear (to me, even!) which material Jay was referring to, and I don't wanna hear about how somebody else tried that with a plexi windshield and got all messed up.

IF YOU HIT PLEXI WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER IT WILL SHATTER!!!

I hit Lexan with a sledgehammer and it nearly smacked my melon with the rebound... that's not a great idea either. :p

FWIW... I had (still have) Speedglas (scratchcoated Lexan) in the windshield of my white truck. When I replaced the windshield in the green truck, I put more Speedglas in... not 'cause I'm rolling in money (I'm not), but 'cause it's worth it. I've rolled enough times with enough crap flinging around, I don't need shattered plastic bits to go with it.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Scott, do you think that speedglass would hold up to an impact like this:

upside down, direct impact on the crest of the roofline/windshield frame? Seems to me like an impact on an edge, like this would be the most vulnerable area of the speedglass. As opposed to a central impact like your sledgehammer video. Also is speedglass scratch-proof enough to still be able to use wipers?? I'd like to keep a windshield for snow at the very least, trail dust would be nice to avoid as well. This will be on a buggy though, so no exo to protect the area I'm asking about.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Scott, I know the Speedglass holds up fine. I was more
refering to people simply wanting to run to Home Depot
and buy some generic "plastic" and using it as a windshield.

Splintered shards flying in your eyes would not be fun.

Jay

1 - 20 of 37 Posts