Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a 1990 F350 that is running a kingpin dana 60 front. It currently sits on 46" XML tires. I was just wondering what everyone recommends for high steer arms. Are the double sheer arms mandatory for my application or will regular hi-steer king pin arms suffice?

Thanks in Advance,
Jeremy

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
You should be fine either way. I havent heard of anyone breaking anything other than knuckle studs on their high steer arms.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I broke a lot of 5/8 bolts when my bolts were not setup correctly and I also had a spacer on top of the arm. Since I got rid of the spacer and setup my bolt correctly I have not had a problem. Keep the nuts tight though!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the regular high steer arms no problems yet.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Like Eric D Lux said, you will be fine provided you don't run a spacer or anything like that, you can run a high misalignment spacer that inserts into the heim ball because it won't flex and sheer. I run high-mis. spacers and a 5/8" bolt torqued precisely to "tight as fuck" and have had no issues whatsoever, and I still have crappy super low behind the axle steering so there's rocks snagging my tie-rod trying to break things all the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I broke a lot of 5/8 bolts when my bolts were not setup correctly and I also had a spacer on top of the arm. Since I got rid of the spacer and setup my bolt correctly I have not had a problem. Keep the nuts tight though!
Erik, could u explain on how your bolts were not "setup correctly?" Thanks :homer:

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
My bolts were setup before so that the bolt was not too long. To buy a bolt off the shelf and have it the right length the bolt gets to determine where the threads begin and end. In my previous setup the threads started on the bolt right where the spacer ended and that was also right on top of the steering arm. Then it was threaded all the way through the arm.

The correct way to do it is to measure your whole setup (rod end, spacer, arm etc,.) and you want the threads to end closest to that measurement. If your rod end, spacer, arm etc,. is 3" long then you want to go to the hardware store, buy a bolt that has the closest measurement to that shank without being longer. In this case you would probably get a bolt that has a 2.75" shank (you would ideally want it longer than that but its not a perfect world) and then when you get home you bolt it together and cut off the excess threads.

Not just your steering should be setup this way but every bolt on your entire rig.

·
Registered
19,458 Posts
erik 2 da lux said:
Not just your steering should be setup this way but every bolt on your entire rig.

Completely agree. I searched for 2 weeks before I found the correct dimensions for my high steer setup. I check the torque on my 5/8" bolts religiously.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Another trick I use on my steering bolts so they dont come loose is I get a castle nut and drill out a small hole on the bolt itself fill the hole with a cotter pin and those will never come loose again. Nylock nuts just dont do it for me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Another trick I use on my steering bolts so they dont come loose is I get a castle nut and drill out a small hole on the bolt itself fill the hole with a cotter pin and those will never come loose again. Nylock nuts just dont do it for me.
You know, it surprises me that you do not see this more often on buggies and other builds. You know, everyone talks about how full hydro is not as safe on the road, and the funny thing is, the only thing that makes it any less safe is the way it is setup. The majority of steering systems from the factory involve a TRE with a castle nut and cotter pin, however, almost all of the full hydro setups I have seen on here have a simple heim joint and bolt with a nylock nut. People will spend all the time in the world with a dimple die making some kick ass panels, but will not spend a few minutes to drill a few holes and use a cotter pin or some safety wire. When I install my high steer arms, the nuts will be drilled and safety wired so that I will not have to check the torque, I can simply look and be sure.

Maybe this is just something that is carrying over from motorcycle racing, but to me it is way to easy not to do for the extra peace of mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts