Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done plenty of reading on pulling double trailers, but it seems everyone has a 5th wheel camper as the first, then a car trailer as the second. Lots of people say it's ok, but lots say it's scary as well. It seems scary to me.
What about having a Gooseneck flatbed as the first trailer, then a small bumper pull or popup camper for the second? This puts your heaviest, most sturdy trailer up front.

Here's my current setup, 27' Titan with a small 8' camper. Works great, but it's way more trailer than I need. Plus, not all of my trips involve the camper, but yet I always have to take it with me.

I found a deal on a 20' deckover GN, which has a receiver hitch already built into it. My thought here is that I would have a flatbed trailer to haul whatever on, whenever I want, and not have a camper in the way. I could then hook up a camper whenever we were going on an over night trip, or just take the camper out for the weekend by itself.
When I say camper, I mean a small camper, about 13-16', or even a pop up. Something like this Cozy Traveler
http://www.cozytravelerrv.biz/
Obviously a 24' camper would be scary pulling behing a 20' gooseneck.

Besides making turns and backing up, what am I missing? Or does this seem like an OK plan. Anyone have any experience?

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
Besides making turns and backing up, what am I missing?
those two small details would be annoying as hell. Especially when you pull into a filling station, realize you cant turn, then realize you cant back up without jack knifing both trailers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
First thing, Look up your state laws reguarding pulling doubles. My State (MN), is very specific that the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel hitch and be an RV, the second trailer is limited on weight and there is a total length limit (can't remember off hand the limits). If I want to do it with my gooseneck flatbed, I would need a Class A CDL with a doubles endorsement.

If you state laws allow it, I would say go for it. I would run that setup. Backing up would be a bitch, but just don't put yourself in those situations.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I knew a boat racer that had a motor home, then he flat towed his sammi, (on a tow bar no less), and then hooked the drag boat behind that !!!!!
Went all over the dang USA.
If you are towing a camper, what the hell do you need a COMMERCIAL drivers license for ???????
Now if the dually (for instance) is plated commercial for other purposes, then, yes, you are screwed, need a CDL.
If the dually (or in my case, my motorhome licensed Kenworth) is towing a 5th wheel camper, and an enclosed trailer, (or car trailer, etc.) I can do it with an operators license.
Been thru Minnesota with that set up many times, ignore scales, have driven past MVE officers, no issues. Also, obviously all over Iowa, and then also South Dakota, Missouri, and Nebraska. Some Illinois.
Have friends of my parents that do same in Commieformia, but all are retired truckers so have CDL's, but am checking with them to see if they REALLY need them or not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read, Nebraska is pretty open to pulling doubles. States I'll travel to with the double setup would be NE, SD, KS, OK, CO, UT and maybe a little father west.
I've got Farm plates on the truck and trailer, so that pretty much rules out any CDL requirements. (and I have researched Farm plate requirements, and they do allow "recreational" use).
I think the biggest thing holding me back is like Kirby said, pulling in for a fuel stop and getting stuck.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I've had the chance to drive semis and larger trucks in doubles and singles format, I can tell you first hand I'd rather pull one 30/35' gooseneck trailer then two 25s. In high winds they are scary, in the rain they are scary, emergency stops in the way can get squarely very quick.

Your setup now is more then ok.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you are towing a camper, what the hell do you need a COMMERCIAL drivers license for ???????
I am assuming you are asking me. MN state law says that, I have researched it, that doesn't mean you can't drive through our state following the laws from your state. That is why I stated to check YOUR state. I know there are many states that do allow towing doubles that are non-RV, but mine is not one of them with the setup the OP stated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
From what I've read, Nebraska is pretty open to pulling doubles. States I'll travel to with the double setup would be NE, SD, KS, OK, CO, UT and maybe a little father west.
I've got Farm plates on the truck and trailer, so that pretty much rules out any CDL requirements. (and I have researched Farm plate requirements, and they do allow "recreational" use).
I think the biggest thing holding me back is like Kirby said, pulling in for a fuel stop and getting stuck.
As long as you follow your state's rules and don't get into where you need a CDL to legally pull it, you should be fine going to other states.

If you plan out your trip some, and stop at truck stops, you shouldn't have an issue. I run a 35 gallon aux tank so I can run up to 600 miles between stops, so I can be picky on where I stop.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
You can get away with your own state's license laws, but don't think you can pull a double through Minnesota without following the state regulations regarding the format and hours of operation. This is why truckers coming across North Dakota pulling tandem 53's have to stop in Fargo.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You can get away with your own state's license laws, but don't think you can pull a double through Minnesota without following the state regulations regarding the format and hours of operation. This is why truckers coming across North Dakota pulling tandem 53's have to stop in Fargo.
You could be right there. I didn't think another state could impose laws on out of state residents on non-commercial (personal) use.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
if your state does allow recreational doubles,make sure the first trailer can be ball and socket,and doesnt HAVE to be 5th wheel.

also,i thont with farm plates you were only allowed to operate within 100 miles of your farm? :confused: thats not gonna work 2 states over.

i personally would stick with 1 trailer. youve got a nice setup there. defiantely legal,easy to tow into fuel stations,etc. if it aint broke dont fix it ;) i think your energies are better spend devising a way to remove/replace the camper from the trailer more easily if you want to make some trips without it.

or just get a small bumperpull trailer to use in those situations. 1 rig on a 16 ft car hauler is nice and light.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also,i thont with farm plates you were only allowed to operate within 100 miles of your farm? :confused: thats not gonna work 2 states over.
Something like that, but they do allow for recreational use. So that a farmer could pull his camper to the lake, and not have to have a second truck to do so.

The most attractive part about buying the 20' GN is that I could buy it for half what I could sell my 27' for. Then sell the camper I've got, and put all the money towards a nicer camper.
The more I think about pulling doubles, the less excited I get about the idea.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'll probably catch hell & get flamed for this but, having had a class A CDL since they became required & operating an 18 wheeler all over the western 1/2 of the US I think it is crazy that someone can go buy some huge towrig/toyhauler/camper/boat setup and hit the highway without proving they have the knowledge & skills to operate it & keep it under control.
Then there are the ones that are underpowered or the operator is too scared to go over 50 mph with them that are holding up traffic creating a dangerous situation.
I used to load horses every week in Spanish fork UT and go to TX out over Soldier Summit down through Moab, Cortez, then down to Shiprock & so on and it never ceased to amaze some of the shit people drug down the road & the problems it caused.
I think your flat bed with the 8' camper is a good set up but would look at ways to make it easily removeable.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
859 Posts
First doubles is interesting towing. Not all states are going to lay a blind eye when you pass by. You get more scrutiny with doubles even if you are in the limits of the law. Not to mention the pucker factor of towing and having all those axle,tires,length,2 pivot points,fueling up.....etc

If you want more nicer camper why dont you look into a nicer slide in camper for up front, Or you could sell it as it sits and get a toy hauler setup. The market on these has fell out....Good deals to be had.

Look on here to get ideas and deals in your area
http://www.racingjunk.com/

Edit: I just read back up in post about you not needing the slide in on some stuff when you go on trips. I seen something that im thinking of incorparating on my deckover if I get slide in on front. I was at a factory a few months back and they pull trailers into bay (Make a long story short) They had a frame built that they rolled over beside trailer locked to siderails slid item off deck and got over to another area to work on then when customer came back they put back on his deck.

Heres where im going with this. Why dont you build something similar (frame fixed or movable)Pull up beside (Same height as deck) and slide over. Now your saying probably how could I handle all that weight they put pipe fixture under object and roll off. this is part where you could get creative and have a dual purpose trailer.

Sorry about the side tangent thought I would add.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look on here to get ideas and deals in your area
http://www.racingjunk.com/

Sorry about the side tangent thought I would add.
Your going to get me in trouble with the Fiance by posting links like that :flipoff2: There's some cool stuff on there.

Thanks for the idea on moving the camper. I might have to start sketching some ideas up.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Slide in's and bumper pulls suck ass....He would be going backwards then, Would be safer than doubles no doubt....You have to do quite abit of tinkering to the backend to support the slide in weight and tongue weight of trailer ideally.

Like he said he would have to upgrade truck and slide in plus a bumper pull trailer...... $$$$

I believe he would be way money ahead of figuring out how to unload camper off existing trailer

1 - 20 of 27 Posts