Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a good 6 months since I've driven my truck and about a year since I had to put it into 4wd.
Using an Inchworm doubler mated to the stock tranny and transfer. I just pulled everything and put it all into an auto truck. I can't remember what the first transfer case shifter is supposed to feel like (for a lack of a better term). Don't have everything on the truck to test drive it but was wondering how the shift is supposed to "Feel". Does the middle case mated to the trans have a neutral or is it just hi and lo> I only hear one click when I shift it back and forth and it seems like it may need to slide some more, but no matter how much I tug it won't budge. Am I just a bone head?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
yes the shift pattern should be Hi-N-Lo. My AA adapter really took a hell of a lot of force to shift at first but eventually loosened up. If I were to do it again I'd use some laping compound on the coupler and the thing that slides along it (heh, for lack of a better term) before I assembled it so they moved smoother.

dunno if this helps you, just throwing it out there

Tate

·
Registered
49 Posts
MY AA doubler is very easy to shift, almost no effort involved. Infact, I have to make sure it is fully engaged in Lo or it sometimes will come out of gear. Mine also only makes one significant "clunk" as the gears line up from neutral to Lo or from neutral to hi....Like above, dunno if it helps, just letting ya' know what mine does

·
Registered
410 Posts
Might want to wait until you can start the truck and spin the transmission/transfer cases combination, it might shift better when the gears are moving. Sometimes if the gears aren't quite in the right place, they won't engage fully, similar to a heavy truck with a non-synchronous transmission, you have to let the clutch up about half way while pulling on the stick to get it into low or reverse gears fully... just a thought?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts