Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive tried to search and realy couldnt find too much info on a np208...well i wanna double it and im wondering what the ideal transfer case to use would be?im running '81 bronco with 35'' boggers 4.88's and a 5speed..

anything helps..Sean

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I would not encourage you doing this. The NP-208 is a fine T-case but is a bit low on torque capacity. If you have it on the back end of a doubler don't be suprised if it :nuke:

Eric

·
Registered
701 Posts
ya know come to think of it this is a good ?
im goin to do the ord 203 doubler and dont want the 205 behind it .Its goin in a 4dr explorer so what case on the lines of a 208 would work?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well not to sound like a complete noob,but what would be the cheapest route to go..new transfer case?with what kind of doubler?...i can get parts damn near free at my old work so what should i look for on what vehicles? i wanna know what the fullsize guys are doing..and i dont have enough cash flows to get an Atlas or something like that..im think of something relatively cheap and easy if you wanna call it that...:rolleyes: ...this is just a hunch i have and im not sure which route to go...

anything helps guys....Sean

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
I'm running a 203/205 & love it
I don't know the torque capacities of the 208 or the 1356 & whatever other BW cases ford used in the fullsizes are, but they'll bolt up. I know the newer aluminum cases are a bit wider than the 205 is. But it could be done. I just can't say anything is as proven indestructable as the 203/205 combo is. I don't think you could set up anything for the same cost either.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
Foolsize, first off, yer mailbox is full :flipoff2:

and to answer yer PM...

203s & 205s can be found in 78-79 Broncos, 77.5-79 F250s, & 74 or 75ish - 79 F150s
there's a ton of them out there, auto/4speed... All ford married t-cases in fullsize trucks use the same shaft & bolt patteren (which is very nice) from the first 205s in the mid-70s up to the current superdutys. The crappy D21 single speed box is the only exception I know of.
my shaft & adaptor is from OffRoad Design... with the weight of my truck, I didn't want to deal with a resplined shaft like everyone else uses, the billet shaft was worth it to me.

this is probably better out here anyway, that way the others can verify my years & such on where to find 203s & 205s & such

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
This guy made a doubler out of a Jeep NP231 and NP241. I'd imagine you could do the same thing with a couple of Ford cases.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your right about posting it out here...

this info helps alot....im gonna contact ORD and see what they have for me....any more info is welcome :D

thanks, Sean

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok heres a few more dumb questions.....married and divorced,whats the difference? im gonna go out to the yard and pull these this weekend and im still a bit fuzzy on all the details..i read he whole article and what im getting is basicly im good to go if i pull any ford 203 or 205's?...im gonna read up some more thanks again...

Sean

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Stazworks sells a doubler very similar to the old style ORD unit for a lot less. He has them advertised in the vendor section.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you are going to use a 208, use it in the middle do you don't have to worry about snapping off the outputs or blowing the case apart.

The 203 and 205 is right, any ford. I assume you are getting an input gear for the 205 with your kit or a 31 spline shaft though?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts