Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im thinking about doing the front of my '91 Runner. There aint shit on here for a good write up or many pics. So who has done it? What was involved? Please post pics so we can get this in the FAQ!:D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Um, cut and weld.

Seriously, questions need to be specific. There was a thread here, maybe 6 months ago about this.

It all depends on how much you want to cut, what your limitations are and what you're willing to do.

Mine: not street, all smog stuff gone; frame cut and tubed; radiator in rear, no wheel wells, the list goes on and on.

But others have done it, not cut as much, left the radiator in front, not done much tubing and made or modified existing wheel wells.

So a FAQ is not really a feasible idea for this project because it is completely dependent on your own personal goals. (Other projects regarding setting up gears, which springs are right for a leaf spring truck etc are basic and can be done up in a FAQ). My $.02

But if you have specific questions, I'd be happy and probably others would be too, to show you pictures and ideas that we have come up with.

Otherwise grab some cutting tools and go for it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A quick search found 4 within one minute. you must not have searched hard enough.
Ya and 2 of the search results are people asking how to do it with no replies. Only one post had pics. So maybe lets start a collection of pics. Like did you keep the headlights? Radiator still in the front? How about just some pics. The FAQ has some really detailed stuff even just for tubing the firewall so why not this?

I plan on just cutting and seeing where it gets me but I wouldn't mind some pics to get an idea. Ill even start. This is Werty's truck.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Ya and 2 of the search results are people asking how to do it with no replies. Only one post had pics. So maybe lets start a collection of pics. Like did you keep the headlights? Radiator still in the front? How about just some pics. The FAQ has some really detailed stuff even just for tubing the firewall so why not this?
Did you just answer your own question?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No im not asking about tubing the firewall...thats already in the FAQ Im just trying to put the info together...in one place. Now in my last post I answered my own question.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am working on the front right now, started about 1 week ago and have been working on it off and on. I wanted to keep most of my sheet metal and the same hood latch. When I started cutting everything up I decided to get rid of all of the sheet metal forward of the firewall.

I also really needed to keep the head light, marker lights, grill and front stock bumper to keep it street legal. In AZ the only real thing you have to keep is mud flaps, lights and not run propane. I will go propane after I go through emissions one more time and get the 2 year tag. Carry shop is about 1/2 mile from my house

On each side I took out 8 inches and had to build a new radiator support and headlight holder. The wiring harness was also shortened 8 inches. Everything needs new mounts fuse box holder, ignitor, power steering reservoir all the stupid emissions crap, Here are some Pics.

Still plan on adding an engine cage and hooking the shock hoop to the internal cage. I will update at the end of the weekend I hope to have it all mocked up. I plan to use my old fiber glass fenders with one of the fiberglass repair kits from Vatozone,
Yes, I know its not even, I bent my frame a while back and have not figured out how to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is my Dovetail build on my 1980 Toy.

http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=9238
It starts with crappy phone pics but gets better. I'm currently redoing the front fenders. That can been seen on the last pages.

Mike

here is a pic. Took out the sider marker lights. Extended the fender.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts