Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you running a gm 44 front what is the length of your drag link? I can't get the wheel to turn to the left very good and i've checked the box etc... i have a feeling my drag link may be too long. Thanks in advance

Dustin

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
When I switched to a shorter arm on D44 I lost full clock on one side. Might be a steering arm issue too. Something to look into.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Did you center the steering box lock to lock before you measured for your new draglink? Have you checked the steering stops on the knuckles?

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about this today.

I don't have full turning radius either.
However, it's not the link length.
FYI, on Scout 80 w/2.5" wide springs, Waggy axles, 35"x12.5" muds, and 4" backspacing on the rims, the tires will rub on the springs hard, limiting your turning radius.
I'm pretty sure if 3" rims would be better, but I don't know how much.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Did you center the steering box lock to lock before you measured for your new draglink? Have you checked the steering stops on the knuckles?
X2

I disconnected the drag link and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and using some paint marked were the shaft stopped. I used one of the flat spots on the shaft as an indicator. Then I marked the center by eye and turn the shaft to the center. I attached the arm after adjusting the drag link end to fit. I'm running a waggy arm not the mile long IH one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I tried searching on the BB and google, but didn't find what I was looking for.
How far can a 44 turn? What angle is it designed for: U-joint?
So, how do I adjust the stops without knowing this? I want the tightest turning radius.
I did find this, about u-joints and axle stubs
http://www.chaosboyz.nl/rubriek/techniek/techdanavergelijk.htm

·
Registered
634 Posts
dl

drag link 42 1/4" center to center

tie rod 54 3/4" center to center

With parts mike super arms bent up about 15 degrees for clearance. Will turn every bit as sharp as stock.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I tried searching on the BB and google, but didn't find what I was looking for.
How far can a 44 turn? What angle is it designed for: U-joint?
So, how do I adjust the stops without knowing this? I want the tightest turning radius.
I did find this, about u-joints and axle stubs
http://www.chaosboyz.nl/rubriek/techniek/techdanavergelijk.htm
Scout 2 knuckles are the tighest stock turning of all Dana 44's. 38 degrees.
Chevy is 35 degrees and ford i think a tad less. IMMIC

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks, I found 38 degrees but couldn't confirm it. Then, I'm now with a chevy. I know this should be in the newbie forum.

ScoutDork

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
No, Scout knuckles are 40-Deg. Read your owner's manual. :D

(or some of the marketing brochures, anyhow)

My draglink is 41.75" IIRC.. it's been a long time.

Originally I used the stock pitman arm and had quick-ratio, but low-assist steering.

I've changed out arms and notched the frame and fiddled with things over the years and just barely have lock to lock as things sit, but I no longer use the draglink as a bump stop, so that's good.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Unless your wider than stock, the tires (33's and up) almost always hit the frame or the springs before you get to the max angularity of the knuckle.

So I guess its kind of mood ;)

Getting 'lock to lock' however it a function of the ratios of your steering arm and your pitman arm, and the location of your steering box.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Unless your wider than stock, the tires (33's and up) almost always hit the frame or the springs before you get to the max angularity of the knuckle.

So I guess its kind of mood ;)
I pulled the POS BFG AT KOs off my '73 and put the 235/75-15 studded snows on a few weeks ago. Sure is nice to make one-handed single-turn U-turns with cars parked on both sides of the street again. :D

Actually, the 33x10.50s don't rub when turning, either, they just suck for traction.

..but in any case, the original poster was asking about a GM axle swap which probably doesn't use stock knuckles, but IS wider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts