Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New pads, new rotors, new driver side caliper, new driver side wheel bearing... still, the brakes (feels like driver side) drags. And it's random too. Seems to make a difference if I just turned right but after a left turn it doesn't. It growls like the pads are barely touching the rotor but when I press on the brake a little, the noise goes away. I'm at a loss as to what would cause these things to still drag. Any ideas? - thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The growling and vibration is coming from the front. There was definitely something wrong with the driver side. And with the wheel wobbling like that from the bad bearing, I guess that's what ground the pad funny. But I replaced the bearing so it should be running true now. And, it does seem to make a difference if it's after a tight left or right turn. Bad bearing? Bad bearing install?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
possibly a bad bearing/install. guess theres only 1 thing to do. check em

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, the wheel feels tight. The hoses are dry and no cracks. I didn't change the pads again so I wonder if they're worn funny from the bad bearing and now that it's running straight, it's just the pad is rubbing cause of how it's worn. I just can't figure why it'd be intermittent and depend on steering input.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just because the brake hoses are dry and have no cracks doesn't mean there is no internal obstruction that could be acting as a 1 way valve. Also, did you lube the pins for the caliper?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old pins were lubed and the new pins were very well lubed. I suppose there could be an obstuction.
I replaced only the driver side cause that was the only one that was worn funny so I figured all the issues were right there. I haven't changed the pads since then so it could still be them but the guys at my local shop said one, to smooth out the guides for the front brakes and the other that may be causing an issue is the rears are so out of adjustment that the fronts are engaging first and slightly grabbing. When the snow on the weekends stop I'm gonna get under it take of this stuff and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Brake hoses

I have had several trucks with dragging brakes and the cause was bad brake hoses that were not letting the pressure off the caliper, causing brake drag and pull. I would definately agree with mondster. Just my 2cents. Jeremy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Often times when the hoses get old, they don't show signs of wear on the outside, but they swell from the outside in and close off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here's a quesion about hoses then... just replace them or use braided lines? I was actually told by a sales guy that the braided hoses do nothing to pedal or effectivness but rather better protection from cuts. He said to save my money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update
I replaced the rear brake springs and adjusted them like the shop said. The right rear was barely engaging. The left rear was probably not engaging at all. I slid the drum off really easily. I need to get a new star adjuster for the left cause it's out as far as I could get it and won't go any farther (even put a wrench on it out of the truck). Adjusting the rears did not fix the noise and dragging.

I replaced the front hoses with ones from Napa. Right went on fine. Left, there are two parts and of course, I got the wrong one. They didn't have the right one anyway so I'd end up waiting anyway. So, I made it work which, meant I had to cut the bracket off and rig up the line. So *sigh* now I need to get the correct hose and the junction box behind it that I screwed up (or maybe some JB Weld hmmm). I haven't driven it yet but I'll let you know if the new hoses fix the problem. *crossed fingers*

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and I'd imagine Napa won't take back the wrong hose (correct me if you've found otherwise) so, if not, does anyone need a new driver front brake hose?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, the new hoses have not fixed the problem. *grrrrr*
A guy at work said to check out the dust shield in case it moved or got bent and is rubbing but other than that, I'm at a loss.
Where is the flippin problem with this thing???

·
Registered
427 Posts
first of all what year is your truck?
did you lube all the parts where your brake pads slide?
i do front end work for a living and perfer to use synthetic brake lube on everyting, any place where two parts touch gets lubed, i rarely have an issue with brakes dragging.
pull your caliper off and look at your pads, if you see the material worn on an angle, get new pads,
you said that you replaced your wheel bearing? i'm assuming it is a hub asembly / unit bearing? its all bolted in tight? probalby wouldnt hurt to double check as well.
and just to make clear, the side that is dragging is the side with the new caliper?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a 95.
All the parts (pins) are lubed. Need to throw some grease on the slides still. (The weather hasn't been very friendly.)
I'll lube the slides, new pads and check that dust shield if the weather cooperates soon.
The driver side wheel bearing (unit bearing) was replaced and is solid.
It sure feels like it's the driver's side that is dragging.
It's an odd very slight drag that sends a vibration/harmonic back through the truck. Even if you had your foot slightly on a normal brake, it wouldn't make this feeling. It's an odd growl and must push pressure back up the line to push fluid out around the resevoir's gasket cause it does have fluid all over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts