Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Snowbird13 said:
I just got my drill doctor and I was curious about the angle that I should be putting on my bits. should I stick with the standard 118 degree, or should I adjust up or down? I am drilling mainly through thicker steel(3/16 through 3/8)
I would stick with the std. 118 Deg and do the split point if possible.The split point will center the drill bit better.

· Registered
528 Posts
CrustyJeep said:
You don't need split points if you drill pilot holes like you're supposed to...

Your first step pilot drills could use them... But a split point on anything bigger than about 1/4" is just silly.
Split points work well depending on type of material being drilled,type of machinery being used.
On a rigid set up like on a vert. mill split points work well even up to 1/2".If you want an accurate hole(size,location)then you have to take other steps such as using a C'drill and or reamer.
In all the machine shops I've worked at,split point drill bits up to 1/2" are the norm.
Now if your drilling holes with a drill motor then stepping the drill sizes is a must and using split points after the pilot hole will not make any diff compared to a std. bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.