Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have gathered quite an array of drill bits over the years, everything from the cheap HSS to solid carbides. Only thing that just sucks is the lack of organization with them. I REALLY like the HUOT storage cabinets since they hold a lot and are well marked/separated...however being a cheap bastid I'd like to find something cheaper. Preferably something I can mount on the wall or put on a shelf next to the drill press. Whatcha got?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Like you said the Hout drill bit cabinets are nice.They are great if you have large qty's of all the fraction,letter and number drills.
If you have a lot of SD drills,get a piece of wood (2x4,2x6,etc.)and drill 1/2"+ holes in the wood to organize the bits.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I want to get something similar to item number 2972A11 from mcmaster. I would link it but it won't let me.

It's a plastic block with a bunch of holes for taps and corresponding drills. I haven't really started looking but I want to find something with just the holes for drills. maybe 2 or three for each size. If I cant find one I guess I'll have to make it. I have heard of people doing it by slipping a piece of paper in between one of the chuck jaws and tightning down on the bit in oder to "wobble" out a hole that is a good slip fit for that bit. right now I just have them all layed out on an old cookie sheet with a towel on top.

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
use the original container they came in(metal box) and the rest go in a plastic pencil box holder 50 cents on sell from walmart:D

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
They sell 115pc indexes for number, letter, and fractional sizes for cheap don't they? They're not too expensive.

I was thinking about getting more indexes for my spare drills I have picked up, since I watch over my mid-quality USA Hertel set like a mother hen.

I like the indexes. Take them to the work site, INDEXED, safe storage, fit in a tool chest or box.

Of course the fancy storage things are nice too though. :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have been eyeing this 30-some piece set of zirconium nitride bits from the craftsman catalog for $100..Anybody have experience with these or found a better deal?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the craftsman set they work real good & stay sharp,I saw them about 6 weeks ago in a craftsman club flyer for 59bucks to club members

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
i have a HF 6$ coffee/drill bit tray bit tray that clamps on my press for my common bits and a drawer in my small tool box for the rest :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I keep a couple of indexed cases, and of course have a ton of orphan bits that I keep in a tackle box organizer.

This way you can get them into general sizes, and it is much easier to fish through to find the right one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts