Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you are looking for bits, here is a lil info, hope it helps.

broke down & Bought the badest bits made:D
$85 shipped
29 PC MAGNUM DRILL BIT SET USA MADE 1/16"-1/2" USA USA
These are a bit shorter then jobber size & have 3 flats on the shank so they will not slip & spin in drill, + size is above shank so will never wear off:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=4615241976&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:11

Also bought the Neico Colbolts in 9/16" to 1"

these work bad fass!
8 pc COBALT S&D RS GIANT JUMBO LARGE DRILL BITS Set NEW
$53 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6036461738&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:11

Also to keep them sharp
Newest Drill DR, yes these work great;)
$115 shipped $15 mail in rebate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6035837805&sspagename=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:11

Bought some tooling for my 12"x36" lathe too:grinpimp: nice to finally catch up & get some tools I have wanted for a while now.

while I was at it, I picked up a internet tool. a satellite internet dish

I'm running 21k, will be at 700k, so I might just get more work done:evil:

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Let us know how those drill bits work out. Sound like a good deal, especially the large bit set.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
that drill dr. is worth its weight in gold. i love mine. makes even shitty bits (i.e. $10 for a huge index) cut like mad.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
DO you have a link for the satellite internet dish?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm curious as well on how the drill bits work out for you. My drill bit collection is rather hodge podge, made up over the years of what was left after I wore them out. I finally bought a DD last year and shook my head on all the bits that could've been sharpened but were tossed instead.

Yesterday, I needed a 3/4" and 1" bit and was forced to run to HD for them. The cost for those two bits is pretty much the same as you paid for the entire set of larger bits.

J.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
69CJ said:
Yesterday, I needed a 3/4" and 1" bit and was forced to run to HD for them. The cost for those two bits is pretty much the same as you paid for the entire set of larger bits.

J.
Totally. And I'm not convinced the big bits like that sold by HD or Ace are of any higher quality. The large bit sets sold at HF or Northern work well if you use them in a drill press and show 'em a little respect. All for the cost of 2 bits at the hardware store. Also I broke my 13/16" and HD doesn't carry it - they jump from 3/4 to 7/8

While you're at it order yourself the left hand bit set from Northern. Another one of those things that when you need it at 5pm on a Sunday you can't just run out and buy it.

Online coupon for Harbor Freight, free 30pc twist drill bit grab bag and $5 off any order of $49.99 ore more: 751-680-792. You don't know what you'll get but if you've got a Drill Doctor it should provide lots of smaller bits for pilot holes, etc, which are the ones I seem to dull or break the most frequently

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
2 Xmas’s ago, my Mom's (Mother -N-Law, and Mom), went in on 108 pc set from HF. It is the Titanium (Coated) set. I doubt is cost more than $40 - $50. They are standard bits, IE, 118 Degree tips, not split point. They have been excellent! Only thing I own from HF!

Along the same line, I bought a 108 pc set at Costco for $39, also Titanium. This set has all the bits above 3/8’s with reduced shanks. Great for a 3/8’s chuck cordless. The bits are all split point, with a 135 Degree angle

But my favorite bits and the ones I use the most are my Unibits. They seem expensive at first, but when it comes to drilling holes in 1/8” or less, nothing works as well as a Unibit.

Darren, do you use Unibits when you make your Panels or a Punch set up?

I also have huge hodge podge selection of bits that goes back decades ….. And the Drill Doctor is King!!! I have the original; 750

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
so the general concensus is DrillDr's do actually work? sorry, i cant search for the answer. if you say yes, then i've got a box of bits i'll be able to put to use again:cool2:

i picked up the 3pc step-up set from HF a while ago, and i love them. they cut a billion times smoother than the normal bits i've been using, and much faster too:smokin: i'm sure the unibit ones and other real brands stay sharper, or last longer, ect., but for the $15 on sale they were easily worth my money:cool2:

to drill larger holes than 1'', i've been using this bit that looks like a christmas tree IMO. about 3'' long, pointy tip, ''fins'' going all around, straight down, not twisting like a normal bit. to tell you the truth, i'm not even sure its supposed to be for drilling like i use it for:laughing: all i know is it works, and has saved my ass a couple times:p

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve I used to use uni-bits, & though great, they did leave slag on back side I had to deburr. I still use uni-bit for 3/4" holes but I just purchased a Roper Whitney punch for panel procuction, faster & cleaner.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes Drill Dr's do work, & work well!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On the satellite dish
I bought used on Ebay $158 + $65 shipping

these are $800 new & with more peoplke getting DSL in there area cheaper, they are selling there satellite systems, GOOD FOR US!
Bought the 6000 model
there are 4000, 6000, 7000
4000 has to be updated all the time & must load software, 6000 is Eathernet,$59 a month ayto updates, no software programming up to 700K, 7000 is a $199 upgrade & $10 more per month, & not sure but hear up to double the speed of 700K
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I will update about these "MONSTER GARAGE" bits

I did not purchasde because of MG, but after a google search, these came up BADD AZZ:)

I know my $40 set of Neiko's is Great, but just wanted a bit that has the 3 side feature & says drills grade 8 bolts:eek:

I willl let you all know how they work;)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AprilzWarrior said:
MAC TOOLS have the best bits.

HANDS DOWN.

Bent Brake or Dull the bit and they will swap it no charge.

:smokin:
AW
that is not best tools, that is service, & you pay for that in higher tool cost.
Not necessarily a bad thing. These sellers on Ebay claim these are same bits the tool trucks sell for $250, I don't dought that.

tool truck deal will not work out for me, I need a bit sharp & might have to resharpen several times during a work session, mac guy ain't coming to my House 2-3 times a day to swap dull bits:p :laughing: I think snap on has no warranty on bits, last I heard none of the tool trucks warrantied bits?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
that is not best tools, that is service, & you pay for that in higher tool cost.
Not necessarily a bad thing. These sellers on Ebay claim these are same bits the tool trucks sell for $250, I don't dought that.

tool truck deal will not work out for me, I need a bit sharp & might have to resharpen several times during a work session, mac guy ain't coming to my House 2-3 times a day to swap dull bits:p :laughing: I think snap on has no warranty on bits, last I heard none of the tool trucks warrantied bits?

MAC was the only truck to replace bits. No one else will.

·
Registered
375 Posts
SeaBass44,
I just bought a Drill Dr. through that link you provided. Thanks for the deal.
I don't think I am going to buy any bits untill I sharpen my collection and see how they perform after that.
D60,
Thanks for the cupon code, I needed some stuff from harbor freight so I used it. We'll have to see what kind of quality those bits are.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
budget76 said:
so the general concensus is DrillDr's do actually work? sorry, i cant search for the answer. if you say yes, then i've got a box of bits i'll be able to put to use again:cool2:
You don't even need to search. All you need to do is go to pirate4x4.com, click enter, then click tech dept and look for the write-up by Billavista:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-DrillDr/index.html

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Bought the Drill Dr last year and use it at least 3-4 times a week in the shop. Works even on carbide bits but just takes a little extra time.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Ok, I will give that drill doctor one more chance:barf:

Do you have to adjust them to get a good sharpening? My dad has one and I took a damage 1/4 bit, sharpen it and its practically useless.

I buy lots of small bits, 1/8, 9/64, 3/16. I use these to make the pilot holes and save my bigger bits this way.

Looks like a good deal on them bits. I like to use the uni bit to remove the burrs and makes for a real clean hole.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R290 said:
Ok, I will give that drill doctor one more chance:barf:

Do you have to adjust them to get a good sharpening? My dad has one and I took a damage 1/4 bit, sharpen it and its practically useless.

I buy lots of small bits, 1/8, 9/64, 3/16. I use these to make the pilot holes and save my bigger bits this way.

Looks like a good deal on them bits. I like to use the uni bit to remove the burrs and makes for a real clean hole.

They come with a instruction video, Mine was a DVD, though I had already used my uncles from up to 6 months ago, his was a VHS, he still hasn't used it yet, LOL

Just like anything else, you have to do it correctly, so if you are not getting fantastic results, you are doing something wrong:(

Read the books watch the video, & you will get great results!:bounce2:

·
Registered
864 Posts
i just broke out some craftsman bits i was given several years ago that i had forgotten about. these things are notched up and cut pretty wicked. i was thinking about getting a drill doctor soon, but now i dont know because i dont think it could sharpen bits like this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts