Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of using cutting oil or the like on a drill press and making such a mess. I'd like to hook something up similar to what I've seen on band saws, lathes, etc where a cooling system is set up with a catch system and the coolant is essentially filtered and re-used. Is there something already on the market for purchase that I've not seen, or am I going to have to make something? Please point me in the right direction.

Old Scout mentioned this:
https://www.travers.com/pdfshow.asp?p=647

Chister mentioned:
"Granpappy rigged up a Funnel under the drill plate that would recapture any slough and drips. In the funnel was a paper cone filter that would pull out any metal shavings. the catch can had a spigot on it that he could then use to drain into the pump can. the pump can is what he used to lubricate.

make Sense? And he was a Machinist for Boeing...."

Thanks.
Justin

·
Registered
183 Posts
Flood coolant is designed to both discharge the shavings/chips from the work piece and help cool things down. Only problem with it is it makes a huge mess if you don't have a big tray setup below to catch it and when using flood, it can go anyway - making the tray rather big for a drill press.

I'd look into a mist coolant system. There's a few out there called foggers or something like that. Basically they use compressed air and coolant and create a cold mist to spray on the workpiece and cutter. The mess is much smaller but you may still want to make a tray to stick below.

Check out the misting systems here:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMKANO=44&PMPAGE=32&PARTPG=INLMPA

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Matt. The mist coolant is definitely something to consider. I had planned on putting some sort of a catch under the press either way, I was prepared to loose some space to the tray. I'd figued something about 3' - 4' long, 2' - 3' wide, and however deep I'd need for the coolant system. I realize there will still be a mess to clean up, but not nearly as bad as what it currently is with the oils and chips.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You could use a Kool-Mist coollant system availible from a industrial supply store or Enco.All you need is air ,water and coolant.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I beieve MSC seels kits that use only compressed air as a tooling Cooling, without any liquids involved. This is mainly the point of cutting oil, but with cutting oil, there is a bit of added lubricacy.

Jim

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you can also make a mister pretty easily. All it takes is a mag base, air supply, a bucket of coolant, a small valve, some plastic tube and a little hard line (brake line, copper line, ect.) We have these on most of the machines at work and they are all home brew. I guess you can buy them too but they are really easy to make.

-ben

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just bought a Kool-Mist starter kit at work for my mill for about $120. And I'm thinking of getting one for the "little" lathe (20" swing and 120" ways- my big lathe will swing a 40"+ diameter) The last shop I was in, however briefly, used Kool-Mist set-ups on everything but the CNC machining centers, somthing like 4 lathes, and 12 knee mills.

I like Kool-mist, less mess, moves chips, and less coolant flying around.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
For what it is worth, HF sells a stand alone coolant pump sustem that would be easy to modify for a drill press. I'm working on one right now for my own press.

I'm going to use a round galvanized pan (an old chicken feeder pan from Tractor Supply) under the drill table to catch the coolant. It will be covered in screen to keep out the chips. It will then feed the pump, which will flow to an adjustable nozzle to cool the bit. Coolant lets you drill faster and better quality holes, as the bit doesn't heat up and bind in the work. I used to work production shop, and I know the difference cooling makes...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The parts washer is an idea as well - good ideas guys, keep 'em coming. Heck, if you have pictures I'm sure that would help out a lot of folks looking to do the same. I have some good ideas on what to do now, it's just getting the time to put the plans into action.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I hated the mist system!!!

Sorry, I hated TASTING that nasty stuff. Rigged one up, used it for a week, and went back to "slipping on the floor, messy, nasty flood coolant". One reason for the expoxy painted floor in the new shop. Toss a rubber mat (slip proof) in front it and just realize coolant goes every where.

With the mist you are breathing the mist non stop. If you have CNC machines, exhaust fan, and keep from breathing that stuff... not an issue. With "hands one" I'll go for a rubber apron and flood coolant. :flipoff2:

Another thing to look at for "home shop" work is a votex chiller. Runs off compressed air. Don't spend $300 on the commercial unit, but look for plans on the 'net. Made one, but it only dropped the air 40F or so... still helped remove heat from aluminum. Not much of a air stream, but did help clear chips without flinging them all over the place. I had a small compressor, so spitting water was an issue as the compressor was trying to run non stop. With a larger compressor/tank might go back and play with that some more.

Flood coolant... keep in mind for slower (hand operated) speeds you do not need a lot of coolant. Simple copper pipe with a restrictor in it. Reservoir above the spindle, petcock fitting to the tube... let gravity "drip" coolant out. Catch tank down below has a pump to refill the high mounted reservior. Simple "little giant" sump pump. Pump is sitting on screen above junk in the
bottom of the tank. Built in switch to turn on when coolant gets up to it.

Just a few idea's. Oh, holding tanks may develop fungus in them, health hazard (machine supply place had anti fungus stuff to add to the water
soluble oil mixture).

Tom :usa:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts