Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate doing brakes, so Iam trying to eliminate doing them every few months or so. This is going on a 2006 F250 powerstroke, longbed, 4wd. This is used as a tow rig/daily driver. is it worth doing the slotted and drilled rotors? Do they stop better and disipate heat better? Do they last longer too?

Thanks
Dima

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purely aesthetic. The drilled ones are more likely to crack so I'd steer clear of anything drilled through.

I went with very high quality Ebc factory style rotors. Could have went slotted for the same price but just don't like the ricer look. My brakes work awesome.

Here is an article to help you decide.
Rotors: Blank vs Cross Drilled vs Slotted and Warping | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles
Dude, that was a GREAT read. I had no idea half of that was even the case.

Thanks for the advice. Going with some high end rotors and pads.

Dima

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
How many miles your brakes last? And how much of that miles are when towing?

I got probably at least 30k miles on my front brakes and at least 40k miles on my rear (drum). My rear definitely still don't need to be replaced if they're not cracked (from seized parking brake cables). My front is due for pads now. the front is wearever rotors, wearever gold pads from advance, rear is autozone brand shoes & drums, nothing fancy, but I'm going to step up in the front at least to have less brake dust.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If you get a decent pad like ebc or Hawk you will never go back to autozome anything. The difference in stopping power is noticeable. No joke. Of course my Hawk super duty pads were something like $250 for both axles. But worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
If you get a decent pad like ebc or Hawk you will never go back to autozome anything. The difference in stopping power is noticeable. No joke. Of course my Hawk super duty pads were something like $250 for both axles. But worth it.

I assure you that I know how the top end performs. I love Adaptive One from NAPA.

I made the post because the point I try to make is that even with my cheapo brakes (what I can get at the time, not my first choice), but I still don't need to do my brakes every few months like the PO. That's way too fast to "work on my brakes every few months" in normal operating conditions.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I'd never waste my money on slotted rotors again

Been VERY pleased with my current Bosch rotors

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Every few months!? Something is wrong with your current set up.

No. Not worth it. Can't resurface them, they have less surface material. Unless your running super cheap unbaked pads from a 3rd world country you most likely won't bave outgassing of the pads.

Heaviest vented (in the middle factory style) rotor is the best money spent. Heavier=more material and less likely to warp.

Don't buy lifetime pads. Don't buy the cheapest pads. Motorcraft makes pretty good pads, they have to to appease the masses.

If you go aftermarket. Don't buy ceramic. Organics dust and wear but grab good when cold. Good daily driver stuff, they don't eat rotors. If you can't learn how to drive in a manner to save brakes this will probably cost you less in the long run. I like semi metalics. Lot's of different blends and i think this is where people give their die hard ebc/napa/acme endorsements.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Might look into an exhaust brake if you're towing a lot - it'll save the brakes some, and make it better to drive to. Could also be your driving habits.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I did the the GM Performance Parts rotors on my 2500. Drilled/slotted. Best thing I did to the truck. Originals warped in 20k miles and were resurfaced multiple times under warranty. Terrible chatter, un-drivable in traffic.

At 36 k miles went to slotted/drilled fronts. At about 50k miles I got cut off by a cop towing at over 20k gross on a 14 mile 7% grade. Smoked the fronts and warped the rear rotors. Kept the rotors on the front, new pads, slotted/drilled rear rotors. At 158k miles now and no vibes, still the first set of replacement rotors front/rear. I would highly recommend them. My wifes car gets vibes when driven hard in the mountains, slotted rotors will be the first mod it gets out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
My experience is similar to ramv's. I tried OEM, Wagoner, and China rotors while putting 300k miles on my daily commuter car. Tried several types of pads including EBC. Wheels are always torqued to spec. One panic stop and the rotors would warp. I installed a set of drilled and slotted eBay rotors and Brakebest ceramic pads and it stops better than it ever has with no rotor warping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
EBC slotted / dimpled, not drilled, and yellow pads on a Ram 6.7 3500 with 35's. A few thousand KM on them, perform much better than OEM, especially when hot.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I ran ebc slotted rotors front and rear, along with ebc green stuff pads

Lots of money for just "stock like" stopping power

They didn't leave any dust.....which was nice

They also didn't last over 35,000 miles

Junk junk junk

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
hasteranger:31373386 said:
Green stuff, eh?
Greenstuff brake pads are a passenger car/saloon car pad NOT made for Truck or SUV fitments.
Greenstuff Brake Pads
Wrong

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ebc-dp71650

Green Stuff 7000 series are for trucks

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I recommend the heaviest rotor you can find, with a name brand semi metallic pad. Stay away from ceramic or organic pads on a tow rig.

I learned my lesson running EBC Green Stuff 7100's. Despite properly breaking them in, the pads glazed over and overheated the rotors by my second trip. It was a complete waste of money.

Now I'm running wagner severe duty pads. They are far better and cost less than $30 a set.

·
Premium Member
14,086 Posts
Drilled and slotted ebays on my psd and love them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts