Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to put a larger center pin in my scout springs to they fit in the 60 perch hole. Anyone got any good advice?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
DONT!!

Make the 60 perch hole smaller, thats what I did. It would be a major PITA to drill through all the leaves, not to mention making the spring weaker(ask how I know:eek:)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you just fill with weld and redrill?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
NAPA carries spring pins, can't you find one with the same shank diameter with a larger head? For what it's worth though, I drilled 2 holes through each of my buggy leafs. I used an $$$ titanium bit, but it cut like butter once it got started.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Instead of a normal spring center pin bolt - go with an allen heab bolt - they are generally a little bit bigger o.d. on the head. If that doesn't work and you still feel the need to drill - pick up a cheap masonary drill bit - put an edge on it with a grinder (nothing special here), use plenty of lube, and get to drilling. Don't try drilling the whole pack at once - go ahead and drill them one at a time.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I ruined 2 HQ regular drill bits trying to do my 1/4 elip packs. After all that, I didn't even get through one leaf! The masonry bit ended up doing the trick after much squeeling and protest. I plan to try and avoid drilling through springs at all cost in the future.

J. J.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
CJ said:
You can use a carbide tip drill for concrete
lol - that would be a masonary bit my friend ;)

And like I said - the trick is to grind a good sharp edge on it and lube as you drill - it works better than anything else - period.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ya....I remember when I used to cuss out leaf packs that would burn up drill bits.....then I figured out the problem.....drill speed needed to be slower.....100 rpm is about right and ya don't get that with a hand drill.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
noodles said:
I found uni bits to work very well. from home depot the big one is 32 bucks:eek:

Yet another reason to use a CHEAP masonary bit :p

I am sorry to keep repeating this over and over - but it seems so many people with try everything under the sun except for this little suggestion - and all of those other alternatives are generally MUCH more expensive, and hardly ever work as well :p

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
DRM said:

lol - that would be a masonary bit my friend ;)

lol - don't you mean MASONRY bit? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah I guess a missionary bit would work but a cobalt will work and it cost more :flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts