Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a set of LC drive plates?
I guess mini plates would work as well..

I know pretty much all LC's came from the factory with them. What happened? I have never really seen a set..

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Jason M said:
Where can I get a set of LC drive plates?
I guess mini plates would work as well..

I know pretty much all LC's came from the factory with them. What happened? I have never really seen a set..
most were I bet throw in the dumpster at the dealer when manaul hubs were installed. If ya want a pic I got one of the plates on my 82.

I think you can order them from Toyota, I bet $30ish each. Might even be that 80 series drive plates are the same, I'll try a set when I swap my fj40 plates for Aisins this week.

John H

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dam,
$25 for the used drive plates.
Then almost $40 each for the caps that fit over them..
Sooooo...
$120 ish for plates..

I can buy a whole axle for that..

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Jason M said:
Dam,
$25 for the used drive plates.
Then almost $40 each for the caps that fit over them..
Sooooo...
$120 ish for plates..

I can buy a whole axle for that..
the caps are HOW much? I bet 80 series caps would work, they are under $10......I think.

BTW if anyone is dying to have corse spined drive plates I got a set I would sell.

John H

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
PM rick d. There are are a couple versions of the fine spline drive plates, one for the later style cruisers(79 and newer FJ40's/FJ60) and one for 76-78 cruisers and even an FJ80 style. The early style has a longer spline engagement area that did not work with my m/t birfields, but that may just be some wierd anomoly. I think the FJ80 ones will work too...

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I got it down now.
The drive plates change with the BF.
so old coarse

disk frontend.. (the drive plates are longer than the mini sized birfs)

late 78-82 FJ40, FJ60/62 = mini sized birfieds = Fj80 driveplates.

And I believe after 94 toyota made the 80 plates a LOT thicker. Those are the best ones to get..
I am probably just going to buy one to keep as a spare..

BTW, the older plates (76-78) will probably still work with the mini stuff but the snap rig won't fit. You will have to do the standard fender washer and bolt trick...

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
FJ80 drive plate p/n:43421-60040 I have a suggested dealer price of $27.80 each, and I think they might be about ~$46 if you have to pay retail. PM rick D for a price through Cabe Toyota.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does Rick D go by on this board??

Perhaps I am a stupid Newbie but I can't find his name..

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Mace I bet if the 80 series will work you should be able to find some used ones, they have a problem with them wearing and clunking so they have to be replaced at 80k or so.
Butch

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
texican said:
Mace I bet if the 80 series will work you should be able to find some used ones, they have a problem with them wearing and clunking so they have to be replaced at 80k or so.
Butch
I was thinking the same thing but how much slop is too much???
They are designed to wear out before the birfs do. So will the plate let go???

This makes me want to have a set made out of something really strong..

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Jason M said:
What does Rick D go by on this board??

Perhaps I am a stupid Newbie but I can't find his name..
sorry, he must have changed his logon name. it is "mrwagon"

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
BTW,
I check another set of mintruck birfields and another set of the land cruiser(76-78) drive flanges and they also dont work. The birf does not stick out far enough to stick the snap ring in the groove. In fact I cannot even see the snap ring groove... get the 80 series flanges as spares. Looks like the 3 sets of fine spline flanges are useless with my m/t birfields
:(

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am still around, just not supplying while I am moving (new house is in escrow closes early May, old house closes April 1). and it's a 1,200+ mile move so everything is getting boxed.

but to plates- I picked up a set for j tharp in n.c. new, but then I got 3 NOS ones 4 weeks later in a deal. My advice, is if you have 1979+ birfields of any form get the 80 series driveplates and don't pay more tha $10 each used. New ones are still expensive for what they are and not worth it. the caps can be cheap so if you need one buy it new. all the canadian mine trucks run them (even the 75 w/ aisin hubs were converted back to plates) and they don't wear out (holmass- yours look good? w/ 130K).

just stay away from Classic Cruisers, they want several arms and legs for them.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
mrwagon said:
I am still around, just not supplying while I am moving (new house is in escrow closes early May, old house closes April 1). and it's a 1,200+ mile move so everything is getting boxed.

but to plates- I picked up a set for j tharp in n.c. new, but then I got 3 NOS ones 4 weeks later in a deal. My advice, is if you have 1979+ birfields of any form get the 80 series driveplates and don't pay more tha $10 each used. New ones are still expensive for what they are and not worth it. the caps can be cheap so if you need one buy it new. all the canadian mine trucks run them (even the 75 w/ aisin hubs were converted back to plates) and they don't wear out (holmass- yours look good? w/ 130K).

just stay away from Classic Cruisers, they want several arms and legs for them.

Yep mine of the 82 still are nice and tight, Aisins should be here any day however, wouldn't mind a few more MPG with the gas $$$$ as they are......my fj40 is the most economical thing I own now!!

On my fj80 I have replaced them twice, once at 130k(one spun in Libby Montana) then at 190kish as I was doing EVERYTHING to it at the time and figured.....ah why not? there was more slop/play than I was happy with. I think on the 80's they go/wear as it;s full time and putting a lot more load on the plate then a part time with drive plates gets.....

Yeah I was sure the fj80 caps were cheapish. Drive plates I "think" were $35ish new. I was pretty sure that my 82 fj40 plates would work on 80's and vice versa, still will try and old plate off the 80......someday.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
SO, WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE THINGS?? :confused:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
i got some off a FZJ80 on my 1983 axle and they work fine, c-clip, brass cover and all

Jason if you need them urgent and no stoners can hook you up, let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts