Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 yj with a chevy 350 to 700-r4 and a np205. I have a 14bolt rear under elliptical springs and my overall extended length at full droop is about 2 feet. The problem I am having is even with my pinion being clocked upwards as much as I would be comfortable with and my transfer case being slightly downward my u joint hits on my yoke. I die grinder and clearances the yoke some and now it hits on the actually nut for the yoke :mad3: the tube length on my driveline is only 3.25" so im not aure if I have room to run a cardigan joint. So if anyone has been through this before and could help me out it would be much appreciated. :D ive been working loke crazy to tey and get it ready for this weekend only to run into this problem

·
Registered
279 Posts
Full droop as in the entire axle? Is this for a crawling application? If so, you won't need the full axle to be able to droop, just one side at a time. Even in other applications, really the only time you would see the axle fully drop would be when jumping. Put a limiting strap in the center. This still lets axle fully articulate, while not allowing the diff to drop to far and cause binding issues. It sounds like there are other issues with an extremely short driveshaft, but a limiting strap might work and still let you run the current setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well its my general trial rig and there has been times ive aired it out before. So in your opinion a limiting strap would be my beat option? And yes it is the entire axle....like I have it on the lift, suspension unsprung. And yes short d riveshafts suck...I really would like to stretch my wheel base and do a 4 link...just have lack of funds at the moment to buy the coilovers

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hard to say what the best option is without seeing the rig, but likely the cheapest/easiest option. It is still possible to air out the rig if the limiting strap is done properly, but probably not the best idea. If not a go fast rig, but really just a general trail rig you only need like 6" of down travel in the center. The wheels can still drop much further. A center limit strap can also keep the ass from lifting when going downhill if that's an issue. I have one to keep my driveshaft from pulling apart.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn post some pictures but it says user has no permission to post them, so im not sure how to throw them on here otherwise I would have...thanks for the response though

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Spend 20$ and buy a star. Then you can post all the pics you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts