Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not trying to stir the pot here, but im curious about co-dogs putting cash specifically into the car they are racing in. Not their suit or helmet. I have always looked at it as this is my desire and the car/finances are on my back and they need to source their own safety gear.

Am i on target here or is it common at all for a co-dog to pay for their seat?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think there are a lot of factors how much have you helped on the rig how good of a friend you are ect..... I was lucky enough that I just needed safety gear.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im not trying to stir the pot here, but im curious about co-dogs putting cash specifically into the car they are racing in. Not their suit or helmet. I have always looked at it as this is my desire and the car/finances are on my back and they need to source their own safety gear.

Am i on target here or is it common at all for a co-dog to pay for their seat?
Thats a good question. I know alot of co-dawgs spend just as much time working on the rigs as the drivers but never thought about the financial part of it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It depends. Are you gonna make the co-dawg pay for safety gear and entry fee's only to wad up the car in the first corner and send them to the hospital?

or

Does the co-dawg spend his time helping prep and work on the car while gaining an intimate knowledge of the vehicle that could potentially save your race?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Co-Dawgs usually help in the form or Wrenching time, Race Prep, and their own safety gear or orginization member fees.

i would not think the co dawg would pay for much unless they are some sort of a sponsor aswell..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ive put money and parts on my drivers car. Ive even split race entry fees. Idealy i would think if we won, id get some of the purse, but.... Id put it back into the car.

I have all my own gear (and my own car) but i am there for labor and support. Thats it. Its his car, if a driver cant afford to race, shouldnt look for handouts. $.02

·
Registered
350 Posts
By "handout" i mean non sponcer, i know its Tuesday, but lets not be asshats. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Driver is 100% financially responsible IMO. If you have a co-dawg who will kick in, keep him around! Co-dawgs are responsible for their own safety equipment, if it's someone that has put in extensive wrenching time and has an "intimate" knowledge of the vehicle I would try to cover their food/beer for the weekend as well.

On the other side of the coin, I've paid 50% of expenses to have someone else cone dodge in my rig while I spot, I think I just have a racing problem and will do whatever it takes to be involved.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I own both of the helmets and radios. My co-driver owns his fire suite and puts in a lot of time helping prep the buggy. I pay for hotels and travel costs. He pays for his food and beer.

I am grateful for the help and an experienced co-driver. I never expect help when it comes to money.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
I think in the KOH race the physical demands put on a co driver more than cover any expense he would pay. That is a codog who is not on a joy ride.

Joy ride = pay
Co driver = working his ass off.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think in the KOH race the physical demands put on a co driver more than cover any expense he would pay. That is a codog who is not on a joy ride.

Joy ride = pay
Co driver = working his ass off.
Due to a few of my mistakes I caused ALOT of work for my co-dawg at KOH, he earned his ride and meals no doubt.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
not a KOH guy (yet) just a cone dodger but, my spotter does a lot of leg work chasing parts and a fare amount of time working on my rig right along with me. If it breaks at the event the roles ussually switch around and I chase parts and he does the work.

I think it is a team and you should both know the rig you are in so any problems that come up can be solved by either guy but, the money comes from the car owner since the decision to sell it or not race it is all on him

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
For us it is a family, we live close to each other, we work on cars every night, my car, his car, customers cars, it is a lifestyle for us as it is for alot of the teams. Each person (well not the girls) know each car like the back of their hand. We are lucky enough to have some great people backing us and we use the money for entry fees, food, gas, to cover each person so they do not have to out of pocket or make the kids eat soup:flipoff2: I would trust anyone of the guys on our team to drive the car if I or Billy could not be there, I owe each person on the team a great deal for the shit they put up with from me at times:D

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Here's my take from the Co-Drivers seat. Including this upcoming race I've been in the right seat with 3 different drivers/teams. I've never had to pay money, but I always do my best to be as prepared as possible and do as much work as I can, pre-run, be available etc.

With Dustin I basically built the whole car (with lots of help from lots of people). I did get paid for my work, but at a very different rate than a normal customer. We are very close friends and had a long time business relationship, so I think we both felt quite even.

Last year with Roger was the only time I've ever been asked to do anything with a team where I could basically show up and race. I got to the lakebed a day before they did, helped as much as I could with a car I was unfamiliar with, pre-ran the race course, ran the race, then went out the day after the race (after they left to go home) and cleaned up our miles of race course and then a few more. It was a great experience for me, and I hope Roger feels the same way, but I will admit I kinda felt like I was getting way too good a deal.

This year I'm also doing a lot of the build work and being paid for it, but the driver isn't actually the car owner, so that's a bit unusual. Regardless I'll be working my ass off before, during and after the race. I actually feel really good about the situation this year because unlike last year I will know this car inside and out. To me part of being the co-driver is knowing how to fix the car, and being a team when it comes to repairs as well as racing. I have a passion for racing and will do a lot of it for free when I can, but I always want to feel like I'm pulling my weight. If we break, and I'm standing there staring at the car not knowing how anything works, I feel like an ass.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I've pitched in money for fuel to get to races when codriving, found sponsors to put in some $ , pitched in for hotels, helped covered the cost of buying dinner for the chase crews, place for them to sleep etc.

That was when I was codriving with DSI in BITD with him living in Nevada and me up here in Canada it was the least I could do. I tried to get down there early whenever possible to help get the car ready. If it was someone local I would make sure I put in every mnute I could helping build and prep the car on top of that. I do it because I enjoy racing and being a team is what its all about.

As a driver I typically covered the cost of entries and getting the car ready. Luckily for me my pitcrew and spotter/codriver would typically pitch in some $ for fuel and hotels.

Living 16-18 hours away from the closest events, getting to the events and back was typically the biggest expense.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
My Brother rides with me when we race

he wrenches on the car to get it prepped and helps pack the trailer and such

I pay for everything on the car and all fuel, When we win money i take 75 percent and give him 25 percent. Generally speaking we buy stuff for racing with the money. we bought parker pumpers and helmets last year for example.

I think if you offer them a piece of the pie they work harder and enjoy it more.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Depends on what you want to put into the team. To be serious & a winning team. A co-dawg better know that truck in & out as much as he can. If a problem arises he needs to be the 1st out of those buckles fixing it. Ready to take direction on what to do or (just handle it.) Also, know that course or his section like the back of his hand.

Safety equipment, membership fee & added co-driver fee should be paid by said Co-driver. If your serious about racing you should have your safety equipment already or getting it.

Leading up to race day. I would expect you would be at the shop as much as possible. Either prepping, running parts, getting things ordered or just helping taking care of anything logistically that he can get done. Remember drivers/owners get lots of insta-friend come race day. But, rarely are they there when needed getting ready for a race months before. So, taking charge & doing the little things will go a long way if you don't have dollars to help out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts