Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a AAPA sumo long slip front DS (same as arizona driveshafts). Under full droop I have only about 1" of spline engagement left so I'm considering lengthening it.

Would it work ok to just cut the narrow section (near the crossmember) in half and weld in a short section of tube? The tube I have that looks like it would fit is 1.25" ID and .125" wall. Is this an accepted method to lengthen the DS and will .125" wall be strong enough?

I think standard toy and zuk driveshafts are much thinner wall but have a larger diameter for strength. Any mech engineers out there know if the torque strength is just proportional to the tube cross section area?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll bet a nearby driveline shop would lengthen it for you very reasonably and you wouldn't worry about it. Seems like I've read guys on this board getting it done for $40-50.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you running standard flanges? You can just use a driveshaft spacer like the ones at rocky-road.com. They offer them in many sizes.
I'm running a spacer in the front and it doesn't seem to cause any imbalance.

zukatude said:
I have a AAPA sumo long slip front DS (same as arizona driveshafts). Under full droop I have only about 1" of spline engagement left so I'm considering lengthening it.

Would it work ok to just cut the narrow section (near the crossmember) in half and weld in a short section of tube? The tube I have that looks like it would fit is 1.25" ID and .125" wall. Is this an accepted method to lengthen the DS and will .125" wall be strong enough?

I think standard toy and zuk driveshafts are much thinner wall but have a larger diameter for strength. Any mech engineers out there know if the torque strength is just proportional to the tube cross section area?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dont even think about cutting and welding anything. Take it to a driveline shop and get them to lengthen or shorten it, youll be happyer. I used to work at a driveline shop and have seen the extent of " do it yourslefers" and it isnt pretty. Trust me get it done by someone who knows how. :cool2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts