Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into making my first buggy build. I have experience working with engines and overhauling them but not much in the world of transmissions or transfer cases. I live in eastern South Dakota and the buggy will be close to a polaris rzr as there is not many rock hills to climb.

I am wanting to build a buggy that is close to a polaris rzr in size and weighs around the 1500 lb mark. I would like to make it have independent suspension all the way around using cut down axles. My top speed I would like would be around the 70mph range but would like it to also be able to pull a trailer as well. I am looking for ideas on what would be a lightweight drivetrain to power the buggy. I can go either front or rear engine, but I dont want a moonbuggy look if the engine is in the rear.

My first idea was to take a wrecked s10 with a 4.3l engine and use the drivetrain out of that to power the buggy. A stock s10 weighs in at around 3000 pounds. Could I get this weight trimmed down 1500lbs by taking the body off and creating a tube frame and cage?

My second idea was to use a honda d16 engine turned longitudinal and with the spiders in the transaxle welded to power the front and rear ends. According to my math if I used a 3.27 geared axle and 33" tires my top speed would be about 40mph. Is there any axles that have less gearing than 3.27? Are there any other way to increase the speed of this engine and drivetrain. Is there a way I can have a disconnect to have 2wd and 4wd?

·
Registered
474 Posts
samurai close to 2k stock make it a buggy and will be around 1500 lbs mark made with .090 wall tubing. Same as they use on rzr cages. Either build stock motor and convert to propane and a turbo or use a bike motor.

·
Random Dude
906 Posts
Also suggest buying a used golf cart and upgrade it with suspension and 4wd.
Umm . . . no :shaking:

In the early '90s, I worked on almost every golf car ever made.

None of them would be a good foundation for a buggy build: frame, suspension, drivetrain - all not useful for a buggy.

EDIT: goddammit! I didn't see that BoyToyDate revived a NECRO thread to give bad advice - IR NOOB :homer: :shaking:

·
Registered
4 Posts
we build em all day long. based off of a RZR platform (motor tranny diff ect) if youre going with a smaller sized buggy, buy a rzr and start from there. you can usually pick up a used RZR bouncer for around 20-30K if youre wanting to build a smaller buggy with automotive parts, just bite the bullet and build a full size. youre gonna have just as much into a smaller automotive style buggy as you would a RZR bouncer and its not gonna be anywhere near as capable.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
either buy a razr or a geo tracker/sidekick... there are some builds here of a tracker-ish SXS build. no way I would start with an s10 setup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts