Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had neg feedback from Drivetrian direct? and why their prices are so high?? Looking for a locker (actually want a EZlocker) and a set of 5.13's for my Dana 44.
First off they want $235 for just the ring and pinion where the next highest price for these gears (same brand) are $150?
Also all the tech guy could do was diss my setup and the parts that I wanted to buy. telling me that I HAVE to run this locker (Full Detroit) and that all the others that I was looking at were crap (EZlocker, Lockrite and Aussie locker).
I'm a Newbie wheeler and even though my truck is pritty built (or will be for next year) there is no way that I'll be able to push my truck for a while, till I'm used to the truck.

Talked to Randy's Ring and Pinion right after and the guy there was super helpful and suggested reasonable solutions for what I wanted, really great service and where I'll buy my driveline parts from.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Drivetrain Direct had the best prices (for the stuff that I wanted) out of about ten places that I called. I ordered some US Brand gears for my 8" rear axle and Spicer brand gears for the front Dana 44. I got the US gears for $174, master install kit for $84 (Timken stuff), and Spicer gears with a master install kit for $230. $488 for everything. All of these prices were quoted to me without and haggling except for the Toyota master install which I got them to match Kong's pricing. Good service and supposedly they shipped my stuff the same day.

But......if they are dissing your locker choice then screw them. There are plenty of other vendors. About the lockright, I have had no problems with mine. If you aren't doing aything to crazy with your truck then you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Don't know anything about Drivetrain direct but I agree the best choice is a full case locker for a dana 44.

I broke the teeth off my Dana 44 EZ locker in my Jeep with 32's. They replaced it under warranty and I quickly sold it and bought ARB's. Been very happy with the ARB.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Some people will sell you anything, others want to make sure you know what you are buying. Without hearing the conversation, we can only speculate.

Randy's sells yukon gears, Drivetrain direct does not. That's one place your story doesn't jive....unless you were specifically asking for Dana/Spicer

Also these guys are salesmen........they can spot a window shopper nearly instantly. If you start your conversation off with "I"m ready to buy now" the prices tend to change a bit.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Rumor has it DTD will be under new onwership shortly, if correct, you might see some changes (for the good) coming

That's all for now;) :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the thing is that I am ready to buy, And I've said that to them when asking for info and prices. Even checked with another place that sells the same gears as Drivetrain (Precision Gears) and their price was $100 less than drivetrain and I talked to them the same way that I did with drivetrain. I know that I probably souldn't be making a big deal out of this but for some reason it's really bothering me.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I bought a complete Toy V-6 ARB'd third from them at the going price at the time. As the others said, the sales guy says what do you need and I said, I need a third. Things went smoothly.

Different order a month later on some gears. Told the guy I wanted some Precisions for a Toy, he said why and I said because that is what I want and I understand them to be the best. He said blah, blah blah. I hung up, got another sales guy and he was more than happy to sell me what I wanted.

Both orders were complete, promptly shipped and absolutely correct.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have done business with Drivetrain Direct and will again in the future. I broke an axle over Thanksgiving weekend ,called them up on Monday , they said.... we will put you one in the mail today send your's back in the box , didn't even have to give my C.C. # in-case I didn't send mine back . I deal with a guy name Ron @ ext. 112

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Going down that road before (with EZ-locker or Lock Rite) I wish I would have gone with a Regular Detroit in the first place. I know it is twice the price but every bit worth it. I wish I had a decent sales guy or magazine aritical to tell me they were junk. I have had good luck many times with DTD. When ever I buy ring and pinions and it is there brand (Superior) the are complete gear kits with gears and complete install kit. Maybe he was quoting this for your and it will obviously be more expensive than just a gear set.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
OOP'S said:
A lot of people feel that the "Lunch Box" lockers are not worth the metal they are made out of!!!! I do not know because I have never ran one!!!!:D
It's becasue the open diff center pin is not made for that much stress exerted onto it, they should start selling a stronger crosspin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts