Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I seen a write up on here.......

I just swapped out the IFS and need to get it close. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
Use an angle finder on top of the flat part of your histeer arms between the studs, This gives a good caster measurement so you know if you need shims. Or set caster so that the driveshaft flanges are at correct angle.

For Toe, just measure with measuring tape at front and back of tire. I run 1/8 - 1/16" toe in.

If you've adjusted your camber then you're in deep trouble!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
bkubisht said:
Use an angle finder on top of the flat part of your histeer arms between the studs, This gives a good caster measurement so you know if you need shims.
requires a level parking surface - or a known angle of grade.
if you're shooting for some castor angle, and you're sitting on a 5degree slope, that can throw things off pretty quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bkubisht said:
For Toe, just measure with measuring tape at front and back of tire. I run 1/8 - 1/16" toe in.
That was the measurement I was looking for. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
For toe-in, I run 2" wide masking tape around the center of the tread, then secure a Sharpie to something solid like a cinder block then spin the tire and gently slide the marker into the tire(against the tape). When finished you'll have a nice solid line around the center of your tread allowing you to take a measurement on the front and back sides of each tire. You'll need to have about an 1/8" toe-in.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,335 Posts
I did mine much like roger b., just get some straight tubes and get er' bout an 1/8"... heres the set up.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Yeah, definately best to do it Roger's method. Measuring right of the tires is tough to find spots that are nice and even on the tire. Especially on my swampers..


What numbers are people running for Caster?

I've always had Jeeps, which seemed to like more caster, 5-6-7 degrees.. I know my yota is running more than stock now, with the stock spring hanger, and longer than stock shackles. I'm fighting deathwobble at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
bkubisht said:
Use an angle finder on top of the flat part of your histeer arms between the studs, This gives a good caster measurement so you know if you need shims. Or set caster so that the driveshaft flanges are at correct angle.

For Toe, just measure with measuring tape at front and back of tire. I run 1/8 - 1/16" toe in.

If you've adjusted your camber then you're in deep trouble!
should the 1/8'' toe in be measured at the rim? bc an 1/8" toe in at front and back of a 31 will be alot different on a 36... Or did I miss something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
for quick toe in/out me and a bud just barely screwed a screw into each tire (by hand.. just enough in the tred block to make sure it would stay) and measured.. then rotated the tire and measured again.. worked awesome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Haggar said:
Yeah, definately best to do it Roger's method. Measuring right of the tires is tough to find spots that are nice and even on the tire. Especially on my swampers..


What numbers are people running for Caster?

I've always had Jeeps, which seemed to like more caster, 5-6-7 degrees.. I know my yota is running more than stock now, with the stock spring hanger, and longer than stock shackles. I'm fighting deathwobble at the moment.
I have allways had good results from 2 to 6 Degrees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,036 Posts
what im saying though is the measurement of 1/8" is going to change as you move toward the edges of the tire. 1/8 @ the edge of a 31 is going to be maybe 1/2" at the edge of a 36" or am I retarded
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
IronClad said:
for quick toe in/out me and a bud just barely screwed a screw into each tire (by hand.. just enough in the tred block to make sure it would stay) and measured.. then rotated the tire and measured again.. worked awesome
X2 ..... that is the easy way :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top