Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured it was time to start a build thread. The build originally started New Years day 2015, but quickly stalled when I took a position at a new shop that occupied all of my time and then some. That down time was gathering parts for the build and filling my little one car garage, dining room, living room, back of my truck, and even the bedroom with parts. Now for the list of goodies

The chassis will be built by myself
1 3/4 .120 wall DOM on most of the exterior
1 3/4 .188 and .25 wall on sliders and sub frame.
1 1/2 .120 and .095 everywhere else

Ecotec LNF from Custom Built Motors
Water-air intercooler
TH350
Atlas 4.3

Front axle
Trail Gear 9" 3.5" dia 1/4 wall
Spidertrax C's and Knuckles
Willwood 6 piston calipers
Spidertrax Shafts
Longfield joints
Nitro Gear 10" aluminum 3rd w/5:43 gears and spool
PSC XR 2.52" x 8.75" ram
Fox 2.0 RR coil over
Fox 3.0 3 tube bypass
Fox 2.0 bumps

Rear axle
Trail gear 9" 3.0" dia 1/4 wall
66CJDean 300M axles
Nitro Gear 10" aluminum 3rd w/5:43 gears and spool
Willwood 4 piston calipers
Camburg trailing arms
Fox 2.5 RR coil over
Fox 3.0 4 tube bypass
Fox 2.5 bumps

39" BFG's on Trail Gear beadlocks

Harmon Racing 15 gallon aluminum bladder cell
Holley Hydromat
CBR 31 x 16 radiator with heat exchanger
Sparco 2000 II seats with PRP belts

18" belly with 8.5" of shock in the front and 10" in the rear

Hoping on keeping it light for the rocks, but still have it perform good in the fast stuff.

Photo of the old rig

Parts piled up in the living room

Upper rear coil over/bypass mount

Random shot of my nice workshop

Another shot of my workshop

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sweet build! Do you push it all back in the garage or leave it out over night? I would be afraid to leave that all out over night.
I knew this question was going to come up and the answer is yes. :D

The joys of a driveway build is starting at 7:00am getting all the tools out and not making noise till after 8:00am. Then having to clean up and put it all away before it gets dark or 9:00. A good couple hours are wasted just with setting up and breaking down. I'm also diligent about helping my neighbors out, even if I hate some of them. This includes helping with house repairs, car repairs, or welding chit they break. This doesn't make everyone happy, because once and a while I get the lovely letter from the city saying I have an non-op vehicle that can be viewed from the street. My way of getting around that is to then load it onto my trailer then put the trailer in the driveway. When they come back out, I no longer have an non-op vehicle in front of my house.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Haha, that trailer trick is pretty creative.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together, love the old school driveway fab!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't get as much done over the weekend as I had planned, but did make progress.

Saturday was spent welding all the current joints up complete and throwing in a few gussets in areas that I wanted to paint to install parts. It's crazy how long welding takes paying attention to the duty cycle on the welder. I was close to pulling out my old welder and borrowing my neighbors welder so there would be no down time.

Sunday swapped the valve body in the trans and installed the torque converter, trans, and Atlas into the rig. They should be in for good. Also painted the entire sub frame around the engine/trans/t-case, trailing arms, front lower links, upper rear coil over/bypass mount, rear bump stop cans, and a couple of other ares.

We also removed the old power steering pump and replaced it with a new PSC pump with the large fittings, pulley, and belt.

Didn't take any pictures, but installed the hydromat and fuel level sender in the cell.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
Looking good. I still havnt put those seats to use I got from you. What srats are you going to run in this?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I remember my brother in law did a cj build in his driveway in santa clara. He also griped rightfully and constantly at the challenges of packing the garage back up every night. Fortunately he lived in the ghetto and the meth head across the street appreciated borrowing the angle grinder to remove serial numbers from stolen bicycles. That guy kept a watchful eye on everything from the couch on his front porch. All night.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts