Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My name is Martim, and I'm about to move to Mexico for the next 6 months for love ;-). I've done tons of traveling and off roading on my BMW GS motorcycle, but for Mexico I've decided I want something with lockable doors and on 4 wheels.

The challenge: I have to be there before next saturday (august 18th), and I need to find a reliable rig that will take me 3000 miles down to Mexico City. And my budget is around 5000 dollars.

The story: 3 weeks ago I got a lead on a great Land Rover for 6000 dollars with everything done to it, sold by a very trustworthy dealer. Me and my girl completely fell in love with it, and organized everything to drive down. 1 week ago, just when I was about to pick up the car, the dealer heard a knocking from the engine and decided to take a look at it before releasing it. Basically he's ended up having to open up the engine and is not sure he'll have it ready for me to be able to get down there before next saturday. So.

My budget is around 5000 dollars and I have the weekend to find a rig that I can trust to take me to Mexico City before next Saturday. Crazy? Maybe. But possible? You tell me!
I would guess a Cherokee or a disco land rover would be my best bet. Maybe a FJ80 or a 4runner?

I'm not dead set on a brand. I'm more of a user, and am more concerned with having something reliable than specific technical details. I do want it to be able to do some off roading, but doesn't have to be a rock crawler. Dirt roads and sandy beaches is the worst I'm planning to throw at it.

The most important is that it takes me the 3000 miles to Mexico City. Once there I'll be able to service and fix anything that needs fixing.

Does anyone have any leads? Anyone knows a dealer that is trustworthy? Please help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'd need the registration and titling to be done immediately, and also I'd trust a dealer over a private seller. But I'd love to find someone that people here can recommend.
But obviously if you have any leads on an individual sale that you can recommend, that would be awesome too!

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Dealers are for new cars. You’re going to get screwed on a used car at a dealership.

Buy the nicest 4Runner you can find.
Anything built on a Toyota truck platform will be stupidly overprice on the used market. Anything build on a Toyota truck platform won't have a frame left after4-8yr in the northeast or midwest.

If he wants to do it right he'll drive whatever POS he has to the south, buy something that isn't covered in rust and then drive that to Mexico.

Edit: actually the 4-runner isn't a bad idea. Buy one that's got a clean body and no frame for cheap in NY, drive it down south, list it on CL for below market value, spend a few days living out of a motel until you find someone who's not smart enough to take a look under it (those people are plentiful in places that vehicles don't rust) and then use the cash you get to buy something that's not an overpriced POS, like an XJ, (buy a stock one, don't pull a Ashke).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah man. That's really true. I do need to get to Mexico City before saturday though. But I could always drive back up sometime later. That's not a bad idea actually. That way I wouldn't have to worry as much about rust.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,743 Posts
Anything built on a Toyota truck platform will be stupidly overprice on the used market. Anything build on a Toyota truck platform won't have a frame left after4-8yr in the northeast or midwest.

If he wants to do it right he'll drive whatever POS he has to the south, buy something that isn't covered in rust and then drive that to Mexico.

Edit: actually the 4-runner isn't a bad idea. Buy one that's got a clean body and no frame for cheap in NY, drive it down south, list it on CL for below market value, spend a few days living out of a motel until you find someone who's not smart enough to take a look under it (those people are plentiful in places that vehicles don't rust) and then use the cash you get to buy something that's not an overpriced POS, like an XJ, (buy a stock one, don't pull a Ashke).
I just figure Toyotas are very reliable and easy to get parts for in Mexico. I would not want to buy something that parts were not widely available for. The only thing worse than a car that breaks down, is a Brokedown car you can’t get parts for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts