Pirate 4x4 banner

361 - 380 of 451 Posts

·
Change is good.
35,186 Posts
I don't think you'll like the Rockers as much as the SX's. Maybe with a heavier vehicle they work good, but the light rigs I've seen running them don't get any carcass flex. FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I don't think you'll like the Rockers as much as the SX's. Maybe with a heavier vehicle they work good, but the light rigs I've seen running them don't get any carcass flex. FWIW.
I talked this over with the Pit Bull guys - and I think the Hummer double beadlocks will let me run them at 1-2psi and really break in the sidewalls to get them pliable enough to really flex well on the trail.

Besides - keep in mind I'm running a 4runner on 1 ton axles, that might just be getting a little bigger engine in the near future. My truck isn't exactly "light" :p

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
thought you sold this thing for MW points
It was for sale - but only for cash. I actually came pretty close to trading it for a Jeep Scrambler on 39's :eek:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I run the 37x13.5 Rockers on my 86 flatbed Toyota. It comes in @ 4100 lbs trailready. I run the Rockers @ ~ 5psi and they bite incredibly well. My rig is fairly light, especially the back half. That team Webster Toyota p/u truck runs them with alot of success and that is a light rig as well.

They do require a break in period and dont flex as well as Iroks or SXs right away, HOWEVER I think the rubber compound and tread outshines SXs and Iroks. Under your 4runner, at 4-5 PSI they will flex more than enough, I have no doubt. It will take a half dozen trail runs before you get them to work how you want.

Thats my .02 cents...

How wide are the 39s?? I want bigger tires...

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
16.5" wide :eek:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
DRM wait till you blow air in those PBR's they kinda blow up. My 37's were bigger than my 38.5 SX's. On my light rig they worked awesome. Way better than my current Irok's.

Post some pics of them PBR's when mounted and take some measurements overall width and height and rim width. The 16.5 wide scared me a bit before but I think I'm going back to PBR's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fenders

Just thought I would throw in a little update.

My 4runner has been sadly neglected since last October, and hasn't been on the trail at all in 2007 :(

I was at a crossroads and considering building another truck or full tube rig that I wasn't worried about bashing all this sheet metal. So I have spent the last year or so collecting a LOT of part to be able to go a few different directions, depending on what I decide. In the mean time - I picked up a couple of 4x4 ATV's for the wife and I and we've been riding those to keep me thinking of the trails :cool2:

Anyway, I guess I've decided to keep the 4Runner and start working on it again.

As of Saturday, I picked up a set of 39.5" Pit Bull Rockers to go on it. I've wanted a set of these tires since they came out, so I finally broke down :laughing:

Problem is - these are MUCH larger than the 38" SX's on there now, and I am thinking my previously uncut fenders aren't gonna get to remain uncut for very long. Once the tires are on - we'll see what has to get modified to make them fit.

I also have a few other things planned, but I'll wait until there are pics to bring those up.

well if you want to save those fenders you could go a fiberglass hi-clearence fender wich look really good and you dont have to wry about cuting up those fenders. http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/fenders.htm its a canadian company out of British Columbia or Alberta

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
Considering what my plans might just involve - a little trimmage on the front fenders will be the least of my worries :laughing:

But I have always liked 'glass fenders - it's just that the tight woods trails we wheel in generally result in lots of cracked fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
DRM wait till you blow air in those PBR's they kinda blow up. My 37's were bigger than my 38.5 SX's. On my light rig they worked awesome. Way better than my current Irok's.

Post some pics of them PBR's when mounted and take some measurements overall width and height and rim width. The 16.5 wide scared me a bit before but I think I'm going back to PBR's.
Yeah they do get taller, and much wider - that was my experience as well w/ the 37s.

I am curious to see what the 39s measure in width with ~ 15-20 psi in them.

Supposedly they are coming out with a 42" PBR that will be narrower than the current 39" PBR.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Had a good day on the trail - ended in the early afternoon by busting the ears off of my stock front 60 inner short side shaft :p

Did great before that though - only added a few crinkles here and there to the bed-sides throughout the day, nothing major.

I'll have to get the owner of Wooly's to send me the pics of the carnage.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Here's a few shots (It's hard to get the pictures when I am usually the one taking them :p )

Here is the obstacle where I got into trouble. You may recognize it - it's where the guys on the TRUCKS! show tried to blow up the axles in their YJ after the motor swap.

I think this one shows you how tall these ledges are...

That's about where the front shaft decided to spit it's ears out.

Still no picture of the damage - I'll get that tonight.

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Considering what my plans might just involve - a little trimmage on the front fenders will be the least of my worries :laughing:

But I have always liked 'glass fenders - it's just that the tight woods trails we wheel in generally result in lots of cracked fiberglass.
Call Cory @ toyotafiberglass.com. He'll give you some good thoughts about the strength of HIS 'glass vs trees (has a nice hammer demo). His stuff is all hand laid, not blown, so it's very strong.

361 - 380 of 451 Posts