Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about clearance issues with the pitman arm contacting the springs and was curious about a solution. I know the best thing to do is run bump stops but aside from that I was wondering which would cause less clearace issues:
1. A 2" drop hanger and 7 leaf waggies or
2. A small 1/2" drop hanger and 44044's
(I am trying to keep the suspension lift down as there is a 3" body lift and I hope soon a 2" drivetrain lift)
Which of these would have better luck clearing the pitman, or does it even make a diffrence because clearance issues occur at compresion?

·
Premium Member
30,415 Posts
keep in mind that a drop bracket will effect your pinion angle and caster.

also consider a new pitman arm.

bumbstops are your friend

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
camo said:
keep in mind that a drop bracket will effect your pinion angle and caster.

also consider a new pitman arm.

bumbstops are your friend
thanks camo, hopefully at some point in time some more companys will come out with new pitman arms, speaking of which have you heard anything about the spidertrax unit? http://www.spidertrax.com/suspension_pta.htm
Yea planning on running bumpstops, as they are nice to me.
:D So does it make a diffrence in clearance of the pitman by using a drop hanger and flatter springs as oppesed to small drop and more arched springs? Or will they just stuff to the same point anyway?

·
Registered
620 Posts
search newbie,...just kidding..LOL

what i decided on was running a 2 inch drop hangar.....and do some radiator clearancing.....there has to be some room back there to tilt that box back a bit and runner a flatter arm.....what K ton was thinking was fabbing up some flat arms...but i do not know what happened with that

i am still flip flopping on the 5 or 7 leaf....just going to have to go with one of the other and tinker from there.... right now i am leaning towards the 5 leaf...maybe do some swapping of leaves from another pack with a bit flatter long leaf and see how much height i get

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Blue-Beard said:

thanks camo, hopefully at some point in time some more companys will come out with new pitman arms, speaking of which have you heard anything about the spidertrax unit? http://www.spidertrax.com/suspension_pta.htm
Yea planning on running bumpstops, as they are nice to me.
:D So does it make a diffrence in clearance of the pitman by using a drop hanger and flatter springs as oppesed to small drop and more arched springs? Or will they just stuff to the same point anyway?

That link didn't work for me. Are they working on something? I wish there was more options to getting a flatter pitman. In my case I've got the pitman adapter from Sky and would like to take advantage of it. So a flatter pitman with the stock Toyota joint still in it would be tit's for me. I don't think that will ever happen but that's what I'd like to see.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
raptorman57 said:

That link didn't work for me. Are they working on something? I wish there was more options to getting a flatter pitman. In my case I've got the pitman adapter from Sky and would like to take advantage of it. So a flatter pitman with the stock Toyota joint still in it would be tit's for me. I don't think that will ever happen but that's what I'd like to see.
Hmmm... we'll it was workin for me. Any how they are offering a custom pitman arm for what ever application you need. All that needs to be done is for you to send them a core, your pitman, so they can use the splined female and they then make a totaly flat arm to accept it. They are charging $95 for it. For more info try going to the spidertrax main page then suspension and near the bottom of that page there is a link to it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Drop hanger vs. more arch

yunaderis said:
search newbie,...just kidding..LOL

what i decided on was running a 2 inch drop hangar.....and do some radiator clearancing.....there has to be some room back there to tilt that box back a bit and runner a flatter arm.....what K ton was thinking was fabbing up some flat arms...but i do not know what happened with that

i am still flip flopping on the 5 or 7 leaf....just going to have to go with one of the other and tinker from there.... right now i am leaning towards the 5 leaf...maybe do some swapping of leaves from another pack with a bit flatter long leaf and see how much height i get
yea thats one of the options I was thinking of but I also toy with the thought of runnin 44044's and like a 1/2" drop hanger. what to do what to do...:confused:

·
Premium Member
30,415 Posts
i don't really know anything about spidertrax. seen their rig at events and they do some cool fab work so i am sure they are capabale.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
When I was mocking up my springs after the SAS, I looked at putting the rears up front but noticed the pitman to tie rod interference problem.

Even worse, it appeared that the drag link tube would bind up on the tie rod because of the angles. The draglink was trying to go from in front of the tie rod out at the knuckle, to behind it at the pitman arm. I don't know if this was just a quirk of my specific truck or if this is something that everyone might see. If it is not just my problem, there is a limit to what you can fix with just the pitman arm.

I ended up with AP springs. The joint on the pitman just barely hits the tie rod at full stuff. Bumpstops are set up just past flat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Blue-Beard said:

Hmmm... we'll it was workin for me. Any how they are offering a custom pitman arm for what ever application you need. All that needs to be done is for you to send them a core, your pitman, so they can use the splined female and they then make a totaly flat arm to accept it. They are charging $95 for it. For more info try going to the spidertrax main page then suspension and near the bottom of that page there is a link to it.
Well it must have been something with the net cuz the link works now. Looking at the picture I think I could build that. Do you think cutting off the splined part of the stock arm and drilling a hole in a peice of 1"x2" flat steel then set the splined part down in the hole and weld it up would hold? Looks to me that all they have done.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TK said:
When I was mocking up my springs after the SAS, I looked at putting the rears up front but noticed the pitman to tie rod interference problem.

Even worse, it appeared that the drag link tube would bind up on the tie rod because of the angles. The draglink was trying to go from in front of the tie rod out at the knuckle, to behind it at the pitman arm. I don't know if this was just a quirk of my specific truck or if this is something that everyone might see. If it is not just my problem, there is a limit to what you can fix with just the pitman arm.

I ended up with AP springs. The joint on the pitman just barely hits the tie rod at full stuff. Bumpstops are set up just past flat.
Look's like if you moved the steering box foward about an inch you would have pleanty of room in there. Just an idea I thought I'd throw at ya. coarse you've probly already thought about that:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
raptorman57 said:

Look's like if you moved the steering box foward about an inch you would have pleanty of room in there. Just an idea I thought I'd throw at ya. coarse you've probly already thought about that:D
Ya- that was my point: You are going to have to move the box. A flatter arm can only do so much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.