Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you tell me to search i already have, but didn't find a clear answer to my question.

here's what i got now - waggy's in stock hangers, 1" BL, 5 9/16" shackle eye to eye and running 35's. the waggy's moved my axle forward 1.5" from my stock position, but i need more.

my question, i'm planning on building a 2" drop hanger up front, no biggie, have that designed. the part i am unsure about is wanting to move the axle forward another 1-1.5" from the hanger. i am going to redrill the perches on the axle, and get another inch. the hanger is no problem. shackles are confusing me. am i still going to be able to use the stock shackle mount? or am i going to have to put new mounts on the bottom of the frame, which i don't want b/c that would give me more lift than i want.

opinions on mounting, i don't want to trim my fenders quite yet and can't afford to have any downtime other than a day b/c it's my DD and only vehicle.

i plan to build everythign in advance and take a day to cut off what i need and weld everything back on.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
How about you swap to some rear main leaves instead? That gets you 2" forward without an offset front hanger or re-drilling the perches...

Or, move the front hanger forward 1" like you want, and drill the perches to move the axle BACK 1.5" or so, for a net gain of 2.5" forward of stock - and the longer springs should work with the stock shackle hangers...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the waggy's already moved it 1.5", i am going to do the perches 1". which will give me the 2.5". but i will need another 1-2" to keep from tearing up my fenders anymore. i need a tad more lift and was going to do a drop hanger anyways and thought i shoudl go ahead and build in the forward motion anyways. but i'll give the rear springs idea some though. but it would only give me another .5" than i would by keeping the waggy's and perches.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
sawzall(corrected), but that doesn't change the fact i'm not gonna use it.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
can you spell sawzall. seriously, if you can get your steering to sill work go as far forward as possible. you never regret having it too far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
you can get a little over an inch from the perches, that should be enough. What about your steering? Watch out for interference there. The 2.5" forward plus trimming will be plenty of room for tires.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that owuld be enough room if i did not have 2.5" backspaced rims. with the wheels straight ahead, i can get full stuff and no rubbage, but once the wheels start to turn at all, even over a speed bump, i hit the fenders. i'm still trying ot do everything but cut the fenders for now.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Romeo591 said:
the waggy's already moved it 1.5",

You need to check your info on the waggy's moving the axle forward...

Straight from the FAQ at the top of the board:

44044's do not (by themselves) move your axle forward. They are the same length on the front half as stock toys (22.5"). While they do move the axle forward because of the lift they provide, when they compress to the point that they are flat, it's the same." Estimates 1/2" of actual axle relocation forward.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i'm not using 44044's. i read the FAQ prolly 50 times before i did the swap. mine sit almost perfectly flat. not much arch at all, so they don't move back much if any when flexed. the axle is forward, about 1-1.5". when i do flex it out, i can watch the line the tire makes when it compresses and is not moving back more then 1/4".

Entropy said:
Wagoneer Springs

“Waggy Springs”

These are stock Jeep Wagoneer Springs

Length: 47”
Bushing: 3”
Lift: 3.5 - 3.75”
Cost: $160

Cost is new from JcWhitney: $78 each
Part No: 07RJ2047B 5 leaf
Part No: 07RJ2047P 7 leaf

Used should be cheap and come out of mid seventies to mid eighties waggies. 7 leaf is supposed to be the ones you look for.

(Length is eye to eye)

[/B]

says nothing about moving the axle forward, or "not" moving the axle forward

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Romeo591 said:
i'm not using 44044's. i read the FAQ prolly 50 times before i did the swap. mine sit almost perfectly flat. not much arch at all, so they don't move back much if any when flexed. the axle is forward, about 1-1.5". when i do flex it out, i can watch the line the tire makes when it compresses and is not moving back more then 1/4".

says nothing about moving the axle forward, or "not" moving the axle forward

Sorry man - but using Waggy springs does NOT move your axle forward. Go out and measure the distance from the center of the front eye to the center pin location - if it is anything less than 22.5", then your axle is moved forward... which at *most* it may be moved forward .5" or so.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
while you are right, and i am wrong, once again. measures 21 7/8" front to center pin. i am planning on sticking with the waggies for the ride and flex the give. no one has answer my main question as to what to do about the shackle if i do a drop hanger and move the axle forward with that. i am going to redrill the perches as soon as a friend get's me the steering arm to finish the crossover.

·
Registered
940 Posts
short side (center of front eye to center of pin): 22 5/8"
long side (center of rear eye to center of pin): 24 7/8"
total length (from center of front eye to center of rear eye): 47 1/2"

measured along the leaf--search for 'real waggy info w/ pics' there's more numbers there

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Romeo591 said:
while you are right, and i am wrong, once again. measures 21 7/8" front to center pin. i am planning on sticking with the waggies for the ride and flex the give. no one has answer my main question as to what to do about the shackle if i do a drop hanger and move the axle forward with that. i am going to redrill the perches as soon as a friend get's me the steering arm to finish the crossover.
Ok, now we are getting somewhere :)

First, you need to check out your shackle length and angle. Are you using a stock shackle, or a longer one? If you are using a longer one, you may want to swap to a shorter one and move the axle forward 1". Combine that with the 1.5" or so re-drilling the perch gets you, and you have it a little over 2" forward from stock - that should give you plenty of room :)

You don;t have to go 1" forward, even .5" plus the perch re-drill is adding clearance and will help out.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
if waggies are roughly the same length as toyota rears and sit flat(like most rears) you should be good to go with the hanger 1" forward and the shackle mounted as stock. mine is this way and my shackles sit with a perfect kickback...5.5" eye2eye shackle...
the spring perch is sometimes already drilled at 1 3/8" off on one side....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thnx Boogerweldz and DRM. i just needed to know if i would be able to use the stock shackle mounts. i'll just make some shorter shackles 5.5" eye to eye. redrill the perches however much i can, and make the new hanger dropped 1" and moved forward 1". should keep it the same hieght if i am measureing right - take 1" from shackles, drops it 1/2". add 1" to the hanger, moves back up 1/2". and i get 2-2.5" forward. great, now i got some work to do.

and my perches are already drilled, 3 hole in each. so i am guessing: 1 3/8" forward/stock/1 3/8" back is how they are.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Romeo591 said:
thnx Boogerweldz and DRM. i just needed to know if i would be able to use the stock shackle mounts. i'll just make some shorter shackles 5.5" eye to eye. redrill the perches however much i can, and make the new hanger dropped 1" and moved forward 1". should keep it the same hieght if i am measureing right - take 1" from shackles, drops it 1/2". add 1" to the hanger, moves back up 1/2". and i get 2-2.5" forward. great, now i got some work to do.

and my perches are already drilled, 3 hole in each. so i am guessing: 1 3/8" forward/stock/1 3/8" back is how they are.
If they are already drilled - probably an 84-85 axle (at least one is drilled on those).

YOur math on moving the axle seems right, just make sure you pay attention to what that does to your pinion and steering geometry... you are essentially rotating the pinion up about an inch - just make sure that doesn;t throw your steering off too much.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it should help out a little, my pinion angle is not right now, and i'm not running shims. so it should put t pretty much back to stock geometry, if i'll be making it 1" extended shackles and a 1" drop hanger. it'll still be another month before i get to do the hanger, but the perches will come before that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts