Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got done building a dropped front hanger for an 84 Runner. After clamping it up to the original crossmember and pulling a tape measure, it seems the frame is a little tweaked. I have a dent in the existing crossmember that required a few smacks to allow the new hanger to fit flush.

So......... what is the best method for getting this hanger in square and straight? What are the best places to measure from ?

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
i would go from your body mounts cause your shackle is gonna be under them

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
yep theres a pic around here somewhere that has the frame dimesions for i think its a 84-84 SA frame so that also could help you. but as TR said the distance from the shackle is what matters most

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The body mount would be a good place but you don't have to use it. As long as you use a place thats the same on both sides it'll be square with the rest of the truck. I made up 4 plumb bobs with some string and bolts. Measured back 12" from the front body mount bolt on both sides and hung 2 bobs there. Loosely clamped the hanger to the frame and hung the other 2 bobs at each end. When I got the same measurement between bobs,I tacked it in place. After several measurements were made to various places just to double check it was square,I burned it in.

The reson I did it this way,if you hold your tape on different angle from side to side you can add distance without knowing it. The longer your measureing the worse it gets. Hold your tape level and measure one side,measure the other side and accidentally hold your tape on a 10* angle. You could easily add or loose a 1/4" or better. Measureing shorter distances are alot easier to keep acurate. When it comes to doing things such as this,I like to double and triple check everything. If the axle ain't square with the truck it could easily cause bad road manners,fast tire wear,and most importantly....goofy looks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts