Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear left drum is being a bitch and a half to get off.

It's on a '94 Chevy Silverado and NO my emergency brake is not on. The top slides like it wants to come off but feels like the bottom might be caught on something. I've tried hammering it and prying it. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Back off the brake shoes. You have worn a ridge on the inside of the drum and the shoes are hanging up on it.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yup, back off the little adjustment wheel on the back side of the drum to release the pressure. Youy may have to still hit it a few times with a LARGE rubber mallet to get to pop free, tap it on the top and bottom a few times.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Some drum brakes don't have the adjustwer slot on the back. On some drums theres a knock out on the drum you have to punch out. The "eaton" in my '70 was that way.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Drums on my 10bolt had the knock out. Drums on my 14FF had the slot in the back. Hope that helps some.

Charlo

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the 2wd 88-98 1500's don't have the slot, the adjuster is right over the axle.

while pulling out on the drum try turning it at the same time. sometimes you need to tap on the drum with a hammer while pulling on the drum.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ive used a crow bar to pry off the drum when the the adjsuter had rusted round. It tore up the shoes(which were shot), and broke the things that hold the shoe to the backing plate(30 cents or so).

The knock out slots usually appear as a indentation in the casting. They are usually the shape of a vicodin(gel cap) pill, about an inch long.

Charlo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
larryboy said:
if i'm not mistaken the 2wd 88-98 1500's don't have the slot, the adjuster is right over the axle.

while pulling out on the drum try turning it at the same time. sometimes you need to tap on the drum with a hammer while pulling on the drum.
I pulled my tire off to double check yesterday. I have slots.

-Katie

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
TxChevy said:

I pulled my tire off to double check yesterday. I have slots.

-Katie
did you push the catch away from the sprocket and back off the shoes, in other words is the drum off now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts