Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to take the drum off of my axle, it's a bit rusted and it wont budge. Already blasted it with Liquid wrench. Need to get it off so i can get it to the machine shop. Any suggestions would be kick ass. BTw it's off a EL Tacoma is that makes a differance.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
shoes are probaby still too tight. Go threw the adjuster hole in the backing plate and loosen them up and it should come off.
Or try the bolt in the hole trick as well on the front .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JamisonWorkshop said:
shoes are probaby still too tight. Go threw the adjuster hole in the backing plate and loosen them up and it should come off.
Or try the bolt in the hole trick as well on the front .

DUDE!!! your a fawkin genius. I cant believe i forgot to even think of that. :D :beer: :beer: To you. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,112 Posts
Is the rear end in the air? A faster way is start the truck, put it in gear, get 'em spinning, then play with the brakes. They usually clank off with that.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's off the truck and it still wont come off. What direction does the teeth need to go to back off the brakes. Toward the inside or toward the outside?

·
Registered
25,112 Posts
Rwhat said:
It's off the truck and it still wont come off. What direction does the teeth need to go to back off the brakes. Toward the inside or toward the outside?
I can't remember, but one way lets you spin the star wheel easily, the other way it hangs up on a tab and prevents you from spinning it. *Thats* the way you have to go. You need a second screwdriver to push that tab away from the star wheel, then spin it with the tab moved. Much easier said than done.

I *think* you spin the wheel down, move the teeth towards the ground if it was mounted.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pazuzu said:

I can't remember, but one way lets you spin the star wheel easily, the other way it hangs up on a tab and prevents you from spinning it. *Thats* the way you have to go. You need a second screwdriver to push that tab away from the star wheel, then spin it with the tab moved. Much easier said than done.

I *think* you spin the wheel down, move the teeth towards the ground if it was mounted.
Thanks, that worked. The drum and axle rotate so the brakes are free, but the drum still wont budge. Any suggestions besides the plasma cutter?:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
tools:

- flathead screwdriver
- BFH

procedure:

- disconnect negative battery teminal
- put vechicle in gear
- apply the parking brake
- make sure the tire is block
- put on eye protection
- put on ear protection
- get the phone book
- call the local county office to see if it is legal to work on your vechicle in this manner
- call the EPA to make sure you can use the required cleaning solutions, and if not the approved ones

- i got mine off by putting the screwdriver between the backing plate and drum and then hitting the drum with a hammer at 180* from the screwdriver, repeat around drum at 45* incriments. then i just slides off after you get a around the drum a few times.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Rwhat said:
Any suggestions besides the plasma cutter?:flipoff2:
Rear disk conversion, was my suggestion. Drum brakes suck ass. :(

YOu can use a sawzall, but it'll be slower. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TNToy said:
Rear disk conversion, was my suggestion. Drum brakes suck ass. :(

YOu can use a sawzall, but it'll be slower. :flipoff2:

Was gonna go with disks since they are cheap, but the e-brake is not.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Hit it a lot, or wedge a big ass screwdrivew in it and work it back and forth, or if you dont want to break your screwdriver, use a chisel.

As for the rear drums thing- yes, they do suck, apparently what was wrong with my ebrake on my last truck (HARDLY worked, and wouldnt pull out more than 4 clicks) Was that someone halfassedly rigged it together, worse than even I would have done it, which I didnt know until just now looking under my other truck, and that ebrake works AWESOME.

That doesnt give them any more stopping power though, I was looking at this- http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14754&BQ=jcw2

To substitute an ebrake, it would be a 4 wheel lock ;)

Dave

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought about a line lock, but what happens when your brake lines leak or fail?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Rwhat said:
Thought about a line lock, but what happens when your brake lines leak or fail?
your screwed :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't there two holes that are like 10mm or 12mm. get a 10 or 12mm bolts and thread it in there and it push that drum right off.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts