Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
drw to srw, srw to drw(dana 60)

I have a few questions and i can only find half of the answer. (This is for a dana 60 chevy front axle...)

This i found.... A drw rotor can be used with a srw hub by just making the rotor holes larger .562 to .640, ( in the d60 bible)

Now to use a srw rotor on a drw hub...will that work...?....it would have the .640 holes. Would there be too much play or does it fit with the hub so it wouldnt matter...? Reason i ask is im going to trade and i want to make sure we both get what we can use, shipping would be crazy if it was for full rotor and hub togeather across from east to west coast.

I know ill get flamed for this...lol. but i had no luck so far searching

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. As far as hole size, we are talking .078" difference.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didnt think so either, but wasnt sure.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The holes locate the rotor to the hub.

The holes are smaller on the dually rotor because it uses bolts to hold the rotor to the hub.

The SRW rotor has larger holes for the knurled portion of the lug to fit through which then press fits into the SRW hub. Since the lugs are only pressed into place vs torqued, I think the rotor could move around.

I would keep them together. As for shipping. Both rotors will fit in a large flat rate USPS box won't they? I was able to fit two IFS dually hubs (I don't think the D60 will fit though) in one box. IIRC it is about $20.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, thankyou...much appreciated. maybe i could ship the rotors and hubs seperate, that maybe would work in usps flatrate boxes.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
right from the bible

The SRW and DRW front axles are identical EXCEPT for the wheel hub and rotor - same spindle, bearings, and lockout. The DRW wheel hub has a wheel mounting flange mounted on it about 4-5" from where the SRW wheel would mount. This makes the DRW axle 4-5" wider on each side. This was done to more closely match the width of the DRW rear axle, and to allow the DRW trucks to carry a single spare tire mounted on the largely dished "budd" style DRW wheel. Also, the rotor is bolted to the DRW hub with 8 9/16-NC bolts inboard of the wheel mounting flange, in the same position as the SRW hub, allowing the use of the same brakes on either (as opposed to the SRW hub which uses the wheel studs to pin the rotor and hub together). Because of this, the holes in the DRW rotor are smaller than in the SRW rotor, since the DRW rotor holes need only to clear the 9/16 bolts, as opposed to the SRW rotor holes which are larger to fit the knurled shoulder of the SRW wheel studs - other than that, the rotors are identical and DRW rotors can be used with SRW hubs if the 8 holes are drilled larger. The last difference is that between the DRW mounting surface and where the SRW mounting surface would be, the DRW hub 'bulges' - enough so that it will not fit through the center hole in the stock SRW wheel. Aftermarket wheels may not be an issue if they have larger center holes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The last difference is that between the DRW mounting surface and where the SRW mounting surface would be, the DRW hub 'bulges' - enough so that it will not fit through the center hole in the stock SRW wheel. Aftermarket wheels may not be an issue if they have larger center holes.

The "bulge" is only a problem if you are having the outer WMS of the DRW hub machined off to create a SRW hub, and it can be turned down also. Nothing goes over that portion of the hub otherwise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts