Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 926 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DSI's 2009 KOH/Ultra4 V2R Prep

I figure it's time to put up the specs and some of the build pics on here for everyone to check out. We speant a Lot of late nights getting this rig ready for KOH, but it was worth every moment.

Thanks go out to Bilstein Shocks, S&N Fab, Beard Seats, Branik Motor Sports, Shaffers Offroad, and M.O.R.E Performance. Without you this would not have been possible!

January 20th 2009:

Well it's about time to start a buildup thread on DSI's new buggy for KOH. It finally got back to Reno from S&N who built it into a roller pretty much. It'll be at my place getting a long list of stuff finished up before it's ready to wheel. With 31 days left until we leave for KOH, it's a race against time and the elements (my shop ain't the warmest with no insulation!) Here are the specs:

2009 Custom S&N Racing Chassis 48" wide, 19" belly at ride height with 8.5" Front Uptravel and 10.5" Rear Uptravel. 105" WB with 81" Track Width. At Ride height with 40's the top of the chassis is at 5' 10"
Triangulated 4 links front and rear, 7075 2" links lowers 1.5" uppers with QA1 Rod Ends
14" travel 2.65" body 9100 series Bilstein Coilovers with Remote Reservoirs up front
17" travel 2" body 9100 series Bilstein Coilovers with remote reservoir, and 9100 series 4 tube bypass with remote reservoir out back
4.8L Gen III LS Based Truck motor with Aluminum heads, LS2 Intake, GM 90mm throttlebody converted to Cable style, Custom Ground Cam(int 286 duration .586 lift, exh 304 duration .568 lift, 108 degree separation) with upgraded valve spring, LS1 Water Pump, Modified LS2 Oil Pan, and Twisted Customs Tune and fuel system. 6500rpm redline.
TH350 Hughes re-built with upgraded Sprag and extra clutches, full manual Valve Body standard shift with advanced adapters tail shaft and adapter.
Hughes 2500 HD Stall Converter
Atlas 2 speed 3.8:1 Passenger Drop 1350 front output 32 spline upgrade, 1410 rear.
Currie Rockjock HP D60's front and rear, 1 ton unit bearings F & R. ARB's and 4.88's F & R
22 Gallon Fuel Cell
Tranny and steering coolers
PSC Pump, Res, and Double Ended Ram
Beard Racing Seats/harnesses/nets
2 5/8" Autometer Phantom gauges, with 3 3/8" tach
17x9 TR Beadlocks, 3.5" Backspacing
40x13.5R17 Maxxis Competition Compound Crawlers

These are pics from the night DSI dropped the rig off in my shop....

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
January 26th:

Got a lot of plumbing done on the car.

January 30th:

The car was simply not comfortable with the amount of leg room it had, the decision was made to remove a lot
of forward progress for the sake of making the car more comfortable. The X brace was completely removed along
with the ARB mounts and trans/steering cooler mounts. The car was moved to Shaffer's Offroad in Moundhouse NV
to get the tubework redone, and to have a warm place to work and finish the car. Thank you Mike Shaffer for
letting us finish the car at your shop!

February 2nd:

The new X and cooler mounts went in.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to the use of Mike's Torchmate table, there was a fair amount of flat plate used in the car.

Fuel cell hold down...

February 9th:

Plumbed the entire car and had everything test fitted before we dissasmbled it for final welding and some paint.

At this point pictures start becoming far and few between as the chaos that was needed to finish the car for the race
took over.

February 13th:

All of the firewall was re-cut on the Torchmate machine. Also added a CPU tray and a fuse tray, and cut and bent the
dash.

The car started to go back together for the last time, painting as we went.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front lower radiator support was modified due to an interference issue with the steering ram. While we
were there we made a custom support and winch mounting plate.

February 15th:

The car moved over to the lift to get a LOT of final stuff done... Subframe caps, limit straps,
shocks installed, seats installed, wiring, etc...

Full droop

Ride Height

February

The car went to M.O.R.E Performance in Carson city for the exhaust work, thanks a lot Don!!

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over the next weekend and week, the entire car got buttoned up and ready for the race. The car wasn't done
until the 23rd. We had a few hotlaps around the shop testing

February 22nd:

On the 22nd was when we actually fired it up and got a test drive in, late that night. Here are some pics
as it sat on the 22nd. WRX Blue looks Daaamn good.

We finished it up the next day and loaded it up for KOH

Here are the DONE pictures!

On the trailer on the way down...

Test and tune with Bilstein on the lakebed (Thursday, before tech)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
nice looking buggy......

But I swear I have seen these pics before..........:flipoff2:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cute rig..........what did you break when you were stirring all the dust near our camp, front driveline?
Yeah! one of the "$hitty S&N FAB POS drivlines. or at least that is the comment made by someone in camp. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Dave,

Nice looking Buggy. I love the large fuel cell. Can I rent it for Vegas To Reno? :D

or I'll trade you my JS straight across.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Dave,

Nice looking Buggy. I love the large fuel cell. Can I rent it for Vegas To Reno? :D

or I'll trade you my JS straight across.:smokin:

Yea... I'm gonna go with NO on that one :flipoff2: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
dave the rig looked great as you went flying by at the race (wai s riding with wayne)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
dave the rig looked great as you went flying by at the race (wai s riding with wayne)

So your the chupacabra... :laughing: Thing feels great at speed, it's the slower speeds that hurt. Hope to get some more tuning time with Bilstein soon and smooth in the midrange a bit more.

1 - 20 of 926 Posts