Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has installed dual batteries (or a single battery) under the driver's seat of an FJ40, I'd like to see some pics. I am particularly interested to see if you have hinged the seat, so it can be tipped forward.:rolleyes:

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
If you're not using the stock tank how about the pass side with that three inch depression:confused: ;)

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i hope you arn't using liquid batteries

how about 2 on the inner right fenderwell. I have 1 there now but could fit another

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anywhere in the engine compartment is not possible. It's fully occupied with a 5.7L Vortec and assorted accessories. Right now the single battery is in a box behind the driver's seat, and bolted to the floor.

Even though I have an aux tank in the back, I still want to retain the stock tank under the passenger's seat.

I did read something recently on one of the boards about single or dual batteries under the driver's seat. These would, of course, be sealed batteries.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Crazy guy from Ark I met on a run to Clayton one year had duals Optimas mounted under the drivers seat, he had the seat mounted to where it would unlatch and tilt toward the passenger side to access, Tony Tidwell maybe? It was a cream colored 454/SM465 FJ40, any of you guys know him?
Butch

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
both my brother and i are running optimas mounted sideways under our seats. i have my seat set up so if i pull 3 pins and one padlock, the whole seat comes out.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have a pair of OPtimas under my drivers seat. I made a 2" deep, 10"x14" tray I welded into the floorboard to recess the batteries enoughso there is enough room under the seat for the wires safely away from the seat frame. Works fine.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I took out the stock heater crap under the hood, and mounted my dual batteries right there. I replaced the heater with a rear heater mounted to the same spot as the normal incab heater would go. No need for the blower, and all the duct work in the cruiser any more!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been going over this mod in my 40 also. My battery is right where Nolen's is. It's in the way for my new shock towers so I have to come up w/something new. I was thinking about a dual sidemounted Optima setup with one under the blower and one under the master cylinder. The only problem I can forsee with this setup is making a "rock sheild" of some sort, to keep from puncturing them with stones kicked up by the tires. The nice part is that it would also give me room for my onboard welder and air conditioning. My ARB compressor is under my driver seat so that's not an option. Let us know what you come up with. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Try again, First

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Last

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looks good Dan, but please tell me that your extinguisher isn't zip tied in. I'd hate to hear about someone losing their truck because they could get out the extinguisher in time.

·
Registered
703 Posts
BMAN said:
Looks good Dan, but please tell me that your extinguisher isn't zip tied in. I'd hate to hear about someone losing their truck because they could get out the extinguisher in time.
I knew it... someone always has to play Fire Marshal Bill :flipoff2:
Yes it's zip tied. Yes I ALWAYS carry my knife(so don't get any ideas) and leatherman with me, I could get to it PDQ.

The bracket doesn't hold it secure enough.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Alright bro. As long as you think you've got it coverd then I'll shut up.

Well maybe not..............VELCRO STRAP. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
703 Posts
BMAN said:
Alright bro. As long as you think you've got it coverd then I'll shut up.

Well maybe not..............VELCRO STRAP. :flipoff2:
Velcro, good idea.... but too wide to slip under the bracket without removing it, and I didn't have any at the time. it was a trail fix.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
None of the suggestions for an under-hood location will work. Even when I remove the heater blower, there is another item which I intend to install in that space. That's why I like the under-seat option. How about some pictures showing how the seat is mounted. I already have an idea how I want my seat to tip forward, but I always like to see other ideas.;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check out Odyssey batteries. Expensive but small two will fit where a normal battery sits. I am looking at using this when I get to that stage in my rebuild.

There are 2 models
PC925 - 6.5"w, 7"l, 5"h and 470 Cold Cranking Amps - 159.99 in JEG's
PC1200 - 7.75"w, 6.5"l, 7.5"h and 630 CCA - 199.99 in JEG's

they produce the same amount of work as a 1000CCA wet cell battery.

Info on batteries:
Service life of up to 8 years
withstand more than 400 deep cycles at 100% discharge
operate in temps of -40 to 140
charge and discharge in any position
recharging to over 90% capacity in just one hour with any voltage-regulated charger
flat plate drycell design requires no maintenece and wont leak or corrode

I going to mount them where my heater blower goes and replace that with a vintage air compact firwall mounted heater & blower combo. THis could save you room under your seat also.

I have a picture but it is too large to post here. If anyone wants to see it email me.

Greg

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If you have to do it under the seat, I agree Odyssey batteries will do the trick. Smaller size, same power. I personally have dual red tops in the blower possition, and I have a Vortec 350. Just enough room:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts