Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've looked up dual batteries and I didn't find the answer I need so I'm gonna ask. How hard is it to install dual batteries with an isolater? It will be in a '71 Landcruiser. I've got the battery trays and everyting already installed I just know nothing about the electrical. Can a novice do this?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
RubiRed said:
. Can a novice do this?
If you see changing spark plugs as a big job, then yes it is over your head. It's basic wiring.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Basically unhook the red wire on the back of the alt. and run a new wire from that spot to the isolators input then 1 wire from each output to the battery. It is very simple and the isolators directions should talk you through it.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
backyardbuilt said:
Basically unhook the red wire on the back of the alt. and run a new wire from that spot to the isolators input then 1 wire from each output to the battery. It is very simple and the isolators directions should talk you through it.
yep what he said...they have decent isolators from napa that have wiring diagrams for different vehicles...the alternators are different from vehicle to vehicle...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It depends on how you want todo it really.

I went to an electric solinoid from wrangler power products that i can select with a switch from the dash.

one on, one charge, dual on dual charge(normal setting) or emergency for when my main battery dies.

Painless offers the same.

Or you can get the automatic isolater from napa and wire it in, it in..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts