Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is something that's been discussed, but without search I dunno. Has anybody done a dual battery setup with a 22r? Since I have no emissions stuff, Weber 32/36, and headers, I have plenty of space, and I could use the extra stored juice.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
OOP'S said:
Running dual Odyssey dry cells with a Painless wiring solenoid setup, works fine. 12-volt Guy also a set-up for dual batteries. The solenoid setups work better then the isolators because they do not cause a drop.
I figure running one big Odyssey is equivalent to running several Optimas so just switching to an Odyssey would be the easiest thing to do.
For example, here are the specs on the 2150 (I am running two of them to give me a 24 V bank)

2 Batteries in 1
ODYSSEY® batteries combine in one box the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle (be recharged) as well as provide enormous cranking power.
Military Grade
Only Hawker ODYSSEY batteries are based on the same battery technology offered by Hawker to the military for aircraft and tank batteries. Odyssey batteries are of military grade and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Superior cranking and fast charge capability
The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY® batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as - 40°C. Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of a fast charge.

Specs:

Length 13 in.
Width 6.8 in.
Height 9.4 in.
Group Size 31
Drycell Battery
Without Metal Jacket
12 Volt
94 Ah @ 20hr rate
1090 CCA
2150 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds :flipoff2:
200 Minute Reserve Capacity
3/8 corrosion-free stud terminal
Suitcase lifting handle
Cycle life @ 77°F 400 at 100% DOD
-40°F to 140°F Temperature Range

Features:
12 Year design life and 6 to 10 year service life
99.9% pure lead providing minimal plate corrosion
Explosion proof
Corrosion proof
2 to 3 times the cranking power of equilivant size battery
Spill and leak proof
Superior vibration resistance
Fully Charged out of the box
When fully charged can be stored for up to 2 years at 77°F
May be installed on its sides at any angle without sacrificing performance attributes
Military grade version of the Hawker Genesis
2 Year Full Powersports Warranty
Made in the USA

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
4Mogger said:
I figure running one big Odyssey is equivalent to running several Optimas so just switching to an Odyssey would be the easiest thing to do.
I see main purpose of a dual setup is to always have a battery to start your truck when main goes dead;)
That is the purpose of my setup anyway:)

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
I see main purpose of a dual setup is to always have a battery to start your truck when main goes dead;)
That is the purpose of my setup anyway:)
Agreed. He's right dude, get two Odysseys!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Best said by 401ton:D

401ton said:
Your main battery goes dead in the middle of nowhere trying to winch yourself out of a good stuck. You hit the switch and "PRESTO", you just jump stared yourself and eliminated a 4 mile walk home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have one Optima and a high output alternator (can't remember the amperage). I have plenty of room in the front driver's side opposite the stock battery location. My rig has some draw when not in use and since it's not a DD, I have a disconnect, but I often forget about it. I also have gone dead using my KCs to assist in elk recovery 10 miles from camp, luckily that booster pack had enough juice:D

Thanks for the good ideas.

4mogger, are you a dealer or just a huge fan of the Odyssey? Who would you recommend as a vendor? I'm a STL native, go redbirds! Anything open in Montrose or too much snow? I've never done any wheelin' there but it's only a couple hours away.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Atoyot1031 said:
4mogger, are you a dealer or just a huge fan of the Odyssey? Who would you recommend as a vendor?
I got all of my electrical stuff from Kodiak Industries, the guys name is Yawan. He is fantastic vendor and will only sell you what he knows will work for your application. He doesn't know the meaning of guesswork. From him I got my batteries, Equalizer/24V topcharger, 190 amp alt fuses and all of the cables to hook it up. He analyzed the combined consumption of the equipment I wanted to run and designed the perfect system for me. I had to wait a while for the equalizer because the military was buying all of them up at the time. I took delivery of all of the equipment in Dec. of '04. I stayed in touch with him every few months (18 month project and counting) for the next year or so and finally when I knew the exact dimentions of the cables I would need he remembered that the cables were part of his original quote more than a year earlier and next day air I had my cables. (Feb. '06) I have never worked with a better vendor. No, I am not a salesperson, just a really big fan of all things that exceed my expectations.
I do not have my cell phone with me at work today but when I get home I will post his email and phone info. If you don't want to wait around, just do a search (if it is working today) for Kodiak Industries. I have talked about him before.:grinpimp:
Think this is right, found it in another post.

His email is [email protected] although his email contact is unreliable as of late. Just call him and say you were referred by Patrick in St. Louis!
Yawan Smith/ Kodiak Industries
408-591-1029

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
4Mogger said:
Now hook up two in series and run an Oasis compressor off of them. Instant LOTS-O-AIR!:flipoff2:
lets see @ 24volts with that compressor, I think you posted it runs out od oil in 8 seconds?:grinpimp: but is full in 7.9:laughing:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
4Mogger said:
That depends a LOT on how you do your "figure"-ing. :p

You are comparing a huge 80lb 2150 Odyssey to a much smaller 40lb Optima. Apples and Oranges.

If you compare the specs for simlar batteries (physically, and by reserve capacity), they aren't all that different.

The big thing the Odyssey's have going for them is that they can handle being recharged quickly at high current. Other batteries don't like that. Usually 10-15 amps is max, so your hi-amp alternator is wasted when it comes to recharging other batteries and/or it could even shorten the their life span. Odyssey's can handle being discharged to zero better too (but don't leave them there long or they will sulfate and die for sure).

The thing Odyssey's don't ahve going for them is price though. They aren't cheap.

OOP's and RogerB (4Crawler) both run a pair of the smaller Hawker batteries (Odyssey/Black Panther), which I think is probably the ideal set up.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
SeaBass44 said:
lets see @ 24volts with that compressor, I think you posted it runs out od oil in 8 seconds?:grinpimp: but is full in 7.9:laughing:
No, it can only be cycled for 60 seconds at a time--because it pumps all of the oil out. But as I said, mine only runs for 5 to 10 seconds at a time, even filling 4 40" tires all at once. The cycling gives the compressor time to recover oil from the coalescing filter.

I talked with Oasis and they said they are working on a new compressor with an extra o-ring to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
BTW. I can order rebadged Hawker batteries which are the same as the odysseys. With shipping the prices are high, but let me know and I can quote you a price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts