Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so i just read about 2 hours on all of this and still confused. Is there any dual brake booster that will have long studs on it for a direct bolt up for my 79-83 toyota besides the 1993 2WD Toyota Cab/Chassis Super LWB with a 3.0 V6. Trying to find these in the junkers is very limited where i am and around close to 400 bucks brand new.

I have a 3" body lift and a hammer so not worried about clearing the steering shaft.

I have the gm mc up grade with adpater plate on stock 83 booster, rear gm calipers with wilwood prop valve and disc brake upgrade on the rear and the brakes are freaking rock hard and just dont stop. I put my toyota away 10 years ago and pulled it out and trying to resurect it form the dead.

Please dont flame me, i dont even remember what rear calipers i put on this thing lol.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Look for an 84-89 booster out of a turbo truck. They are the same size as stock but dual diaphragm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My problem is there would never be a turbo in the junkers here ever.

There is 90 to 97 4 runners most likely 2x4 and one 86 pickup 2x4.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Ebay, classifides, etc. They are available. Try Davez.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Are you sure it will work? Is it the same diameter? I think I remember trying to use a later model booster on a 82, and the booster would hit the steering shaft.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure it will work? Is it the same diameter? I think I remember trying to use a later model booster on a 82, and the booster would hit the steering shaft.
Im not sure I have read people hammering in the lip to fit and somebody with a 1" body lift and mine has a 3" body lift. With out one to try im not sure.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I know for a fact the turbo boosters work. Theyare the same size diameter as the stock first gens.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know for a fact the turbo boosters work. Theyare the same size diameter as the stock first gens.
Anybody got one kicking around they ship up usps check ebay ands killer for prices and I got so much to do to my truck don't have a lot of cash. I cannot believe what they cost brand new its insane.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just get a second gen runner booster with dual diaphragm and whack a little on the lip. It seriously does not take much whacking, just a millimeter. On mine I could actually turn the wheel before smashing the lip. When you get hold of one you'll see that the lip is pretty big to begin with, and it's super easy to smack just enough of it out of the way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered my turbo MC from Rock Auto. Can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was in the mid to upper $200s. They even took my old stock 83 MC in as a core and refunded the core charge.

Greg G

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Try the next size smaller diameter master cylinder. Probably a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What I did was take the stock alu spacer and cut it. That and a small amount of hammering makes it long enough for a small/dual booster (the one you want; see below) to clear everything on an otherwise stock 1st gen, but short enough that the booster's studs will have enough thread to bolt up, and the MC rod has enough adjustment room to have reasonable pedal height.

The method I used to hold the spacer was crude, and the result needed some fine-tuning with a bench grinder. If, unlike me, you make sure everything is square before you cut, it should work fine.

There are four boosters in question. Single-diaphragm in small and large diameter, and dual-diaphragm in small and large. Stock 1st-gen is single/small. I don't know the following for certain, but what I recall is - all 2nd- and 3rd-gen 4wd are dual/large, all 2nd- and most 3rd-gen 2wd are single/large, and some 3rd-gen 2wd are dual/small; that's the one you want. I assure you they are not exclusive to turbo trucks and Runners; I found mine with no particular effort at the local Picknpull. I know it was out of a 2wd but don't remember pickup vs. Runner or what engine it had.

Here's the stock booster on the left, dual/large on the right.

Here's what a small/dual looks like:

I highly recommend upgrading the booster. It makes the 33-year old truck stop like a modern passenger car (albeit with a lot more wandering).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts