Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Dual case Crossmember, 83 PU L52&trans to W56 & Dual Cases.

Its time to replace the bad L52 5 speed (5 is missing) with a w56 and dual cases.

The w56 is 4.5 inches longer than the L52 and the dual cases add about another 6 inches in length.

Looking under at the chassis, it looks like it would be very easy to weld 4 pieces of angle iron onto the frame and relocate the existing crossmember to the rear about 12 inches and attach it to the underside of the rear case.(based on quick measurements).

Has anyone ever converted an 83 pickup and used the crossmember.

I know it will hang down an extra 2 or so inches but will that create a problem on a 83. The frame geom. could be different enough that it would not hang down as much as on a 84/85 model.

Truck has 4 inch springs and a 2 inch body lift.

Is this a good option to get the truck on the road ? or what other crossmember would be easy to use.

PS: No Spelling or Grammar checker today !

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yeah just call up Bud and he will make you what you want. He can make it so you use your stock holes(not recomended) because the holes are so far forward. So he made me one that I could use by bolting it up to 4 pices of angle I welded to the frame.

came out nice

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cash flow problems are a limiting factor on this project.

A lot of the modifications are limited to parts that are in the parts bin, trading and custom fabrication. The parts bin is deep, top shift transfer cases, W56, inchworm dual case adapter, drive shafts, allpro springs, high steer, detroits, 4.88 gears, extra stock crossmember,......

Having to make or modify a stock crossmember is not a problem, but I am looking for an easy way, since the season is running out and the USFS is considering closing a major trail in the boulder area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i'm running the marlin cross member. for $195 it's one of the best mods i have done.
and this thing is cazy tuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts