Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are Marlin's and A/A's dual case shifters configured? Is the 4wd/2wd selecter moved to the rear most position and the aux high/low in the forward position? My buddy has an early JP Eater set up in his truck and when he first installed it it had only one shifter and you could only get low/low. Well we installed thier(JP's) dual shifter set up that came with one extended rod and one stock rod (we enclosed the notch for the shifter for the aux low) and the 2wd/4wd shifter is in the stock location and the aux low shifter sits in the cup holder(?) recess. I'm thinking of going duals and I like that configuration better. Do you guys know if Marlin's or A/A's is available that way? Thanks for any input:)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The front stick is in the stock location, and only moves forward or backward: From HI to LO. This gives you 2.28:1 reduction... and you can engage it while in 2WD. :grinpimp:

The rear stick operates just like the one you have now: 2HI, 4HI, N, 4LO. It sits approximately 6.5" behind the front shifter's location. If the case is stock, it gives you 2.28 reduction, or 5.2:1 reduction with both cases in low range.

If the rear case has a 4.7 gearset in it, it gives you 4.7:1 reduction, and 10.XX:1 reduction with both cases in low.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
In the Feb. 2001 Petersens 4-Wheel + Off-ROad mag, they show a pic of a slick twin stick used on All Pro's Truggy.

Anyone know how this works, it says
"A little All Pro trickery. The Rear case employs a custom twin-stick feature that allows the frotn or rear wheels to be disengaged whether in 4hi or 4-Lo. It should be available through All-Pro by the time you read this."

It seems to indicate that you could get front wheel drive low, but I thought that was impossible with the Toy t-cases? They are using a R151F Turbo trans with dual 23spline Toy cases. Any one got info?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Incontrol: That looks pretty wicked, could you give us an explanation of what exactly it is capable of? Can it disconnect the rear wheels from the rest of the drivetrain? Or does it merely offer the ability to use 2wd (Rear wheels) Lo?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
SamuraiChris said:
Incontrol: That looks pretty wicked, could you give us an explanation of what exactly it is capable of? Can it disconnect the rear wheels from the rest of the drivetrain? Or does it merely offer the ability to use 2wd (Rear wheels) Lo?
Unless there is some internal case mod made that I don;t know about - that shifter just allows 2wd (rear) low.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
DRM said:

Unless there is some internal case mod made that I don;t know about - that shifter just allows 2wd (rear) low.
That is what I am thinking, but the description of the All-Pro shifter seems to indicate the ability to get 2wd (Front) Low.

Where's Geiger when we need him? I think the mag just got it wrong, the design looks similar in concept to what InControl showed, two sticks of sorts. I wish I had a scanner, I'd show you guys the pic.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
SamuraiChris said:

That is what I am thinking, but the description of the All-Pro shifter seems to indicate the ability to get 2wd (Front) Low.

Where's Geiger when we need him? I think the mag just got it wrong, the design looks similar in concept to what InControl showed, two sticks of sorts. I wish I had a scanner, I'd show you guys the pic.
Sorry, but that is not possible. 2WD lo (rear only) is all you gain.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Mag got it wrong. You can't get front wheel drive only with a Toy case and a standard mainshaft.

I've thought about machining up a rear cover assembly that'll allow a two-piece mainshaft... but haven't made any progress on that.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
How much case modification and/or what compromises are acceptable?

For example, the easy way to get it done, would delete the oil pump, the speedo drive, and probably a couple other parts.

It'd require a new mainshaft (both pieces), a new back half of the case, a new output flange/yoke, possibly a shortened (maybe just adapted) rear driveshaft, and a new shifter assembly.

With a new two-piece mainshaft, it could easily run into the $800-1k range... and that's if the speedo isn't hooked back up. Is that too much?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Bones said:
Too rich for my blood, but I wrench more than I wheel so what do I know :D I haven't hit that "need" yet
Too rich for mine too... but I dunno what others are willing to spend. Mostly too rich for mine 'cause serial number 001 of that part is likely to cost more like $5k, and I definitely can't afford that.

Assume, FWIW, that it doesn't change the length of the rear driveshaft, just the attachment at the case, potentially (like, to a yoke instead of a flange).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
SamuraiChris said:
These came from Marlin's site. I do know that they are in R&D stage right now. Of course it cannot give front wheel drive only. The easiest way I've seen to do that is with a OTT adapter and an Atlas transfer case. That should only cost about 3 grand.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Scott, speaking as one who would like to use the Toy cases he's got readily available, but would also like FWD, and has considered a D300:

Don't bother. Anyone who want's FWD that badly is going put a D300 behind their Toy case, or go to an Atlas. Personally, I'd rather buy a D300 & the adapter for the better part of the price you'd be asking. If I bust the D300 there are all sorts of upgrade parts available, and they're a dime a dozen around here in boneyards. Hell, I could probably afford to have a spare 300 around just in case the 4.7s in the front case do ugly things to the first one.

I'd rather go that route, than put a small vendor into the poor house, and have an expensive custom part in the rig that might not work perfectly any way.

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts