Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds gay, but has anyone ever seen a dual wheel conversion that keeps the stock wheels (91 SR5) as outers? I talked my dad into flat-bedding his truck and now the proportions are off. He had one built that is too wide.

If the rear axle was pushed back about 8 inches and it had dual 31 x 10.50's it would look about right. Moving the axle back isn't the hard part. It's the dual rear wheel part that I'm wondering about. I thought about an actual one ton rear, but he wants his wheels to match.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Kentucky :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Yeah, I've seen it done. A friend of mine did it to his F250... worked great till the conversion spacers and studs and whatnot fell apart on the interstate, took off his dually fender on one side, flung his truck and trailer into the barricade, and backed up traffic for 20 miles while they figured out how to drag his 4-wheeled (two right rears, two fronts, no left rears at all) former dually, trailer, and crawler, out of the highway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hey Scott I got my steering arms today. I talked with you for about 2 hours last week. I love them,they look alot better in person than they do on your site. PURE BEEF! Thanks a bunch.:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I did it to my F250 about 8 years ago. I use all stock wheels. When I did it, I used my spare as one extra tire and bought a similar knock-off from a garage. I carry a 3000lb camper on my truck and tow a 2 ton trailer.

I had one blow out on an inner dual wheel about 5 years ago, got out, looked at it and drove the rest of the way home and fixed it there.

All I can say about what [email protected] said about his friend is that either it was a cheap adapter setup or it was not properly installed and tightened. Mine has worked great for many years.

So yes, you can do a dual conversion with stock wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts