Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my boy a cheap dirt bike and he is getting pretty good around the house. We have some trails right behind the house that he wants to go on. Now i have an excuse to get a bike. I used to ride sport bikes but sold my last one 5 years ago. I have very limited experience on a dirt bike. I have a 20 mile commute on a road that is 65mph. Also i am 6’6" 250lb so i don't do well on a small bike.

If i went dirt only I think I would look at 450 but I think a 450 would be a little weak on the highway. If I go dual sport I like the 650 but it might be a little big for learning the dirt and riding with my boy. Will i even enjoy commuting on a 650 when i came from sport bikes? Cant really afford two bikes so if I don't dual sport I will just keep commuting in the truck.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Pretty much any bike that is going to be decent off road is going to be absolutely miserable doing 65 mph for any length of time.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
go full dirt, the cost of good riding gear for commuting adds up VERY quickly$$$$

get a fun dirtbike, enjoy the time in the woods, buy some good protective gear.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So not knowing a lot about dirt bikes, what should i be looking at? I would prefer a tall bike. Do I really want to start with a 450? Brand? 4 or 2 stroke?

Trail riding and maybe a trip to the dunes if I get good enough.

Suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Limited dirt experience? I'd avoid a 450. 250F all the way (or 125-200 2-stroke if you wanted to go that route). Wringing out a 125 for all it is worth is the most fun you can have on a dirt bike IMO.

The Husqvarnas are tall bikes. Parts can be a bit hit and miss right now with the sale of the company, but it seems to be coming around.

All the modern bikes are decent, so it is really just personal preference and what color you want :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Id say if your a complete newb then get a crf230f. they are great bikes and there is a street legal modal crf230l. Ive had one since I was thirteen you can mod them later to fit your need for speed like rejecting the carb esay little things. I race moto x and used this bike when I was 14 but then I could just take it down the trail. Yes it would fit a 250 pound man Im 240 pounds!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, that's it. Get the biggest fastest thing out, so you can follow your kid around the back yard.
How old is your kid? Or, what bike is he on?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
KTM 450/525 EXC or Honda XR650R. I've owned both and are about as pure of a no compromise dirt bike that is still street able. Both are reliable, run around $3k in good shape and good off road but can serve as a commuter if needed. Neither have the difficult to ride snap of a 450 MX bike, they are powerful but will only give you as much as your wrist asks for.

If your kid is more the type to explore and cruise around on fire roads and you would like to be able to commute regularly on the bike, go with the Honda. If he is more of a shredder and will progress to faster single track or you intend to ride trails with dirt guys go with the KTM.

Either way I would put a plate on it, you might not want to use it full time instead of the truck but it's nice to have the option if your truck breaks down, etc.

The biggest limiting factor for dual sport use are tires. I ran Michelin T63's on the 650 and they were decent all around. However any dual sport tire will cripple the advantage of the KTM in the dirt, so if you get one and intend to ride the street I would pick up a supermoto kit.

Think of it this way:

XR650R on T63's = Jeep Rubicon on 37" KM2's
KTM450 on knobbies = rock bouncer on krawlers
KTM450 on Dual sport tires = rock bouncer on thornbirds
KTM450 with supermoto kit = trophy truck on the street :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
He is used to sport bikes, my kids grew up, his will too and he won't be buying two bikes every year, just bigger and faster for the kid.

Honda 450X would be great and last for years while trying to keep up with the kid.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So a little more info. The kid is 7 and he is riding a cheap SSR70. Think it will max at around 45mph but for now I still have it rev limited for riding around the yard. He has a 5yo sister that wants to start riding too so he may be getting a new bike come spring.

And yes I am new to dirt bikes (half a day playing around on a 125 about 15 years ago, was too small back then and I was 50lb lighter). Although the sport bikes I had were 1000 and 1300 (miss my Busa). I know the light weight 250s have some spunk but I am more concerned about that spunk with me on it. I really want reliable as work keeps me busy and I am not interested in spending 4 hours fixing shit so I can ride for 30 minutes.

I do appreciate all the responses and will probably head to the dealerships in town and sit on some bikes, then go buy a cheap used one :flipoff2:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You would be fine on a 250 4stroke, it's not the same idea as a 125 having spunk. The 450 is the one that will get you with small mishap. Especially for a kid so young as a riding partner. When he progresses far enough, if you're still into it, he gets the 250, you could get something else then. The ktm's are a good suggestion, even the 400's were workhorses and last forever. The Honda "X's" are good too, not sure about putting them on the road. Anywhere near you to rent for half a day?

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i ride a 250x. wide ratio trans and a fun button.

450x would be fine for ya also. powerband is tamer since its a trail bike.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
So a little more info. The kid is 7 and he is riding a cheap SSR70. Think it will max at around 45mph but for now I still have it rev limited for riding around the yard. He has a 5yo sister that wants to start riding too so he may be getting a new bike come spring.

And yes I am new to dirt bikes (half a day playing around on a 125 about 15 years ago, was too small back then and I was 50lb lighter). Although the sport bikes I had were 1000 and 1300 (miss my Busa). I know the light weight 250s have some spunk but I am more concerned about that spunk with me on it. I really want reliable as work keeps me busy and I am not interested in spending 4 hours fixing shit so I can ride for 30 minutes.

I do appreciate all the responses and will probably head to the dealerships in town and sit on some bikes, then go buy a cheap used one :flipoff2:
Yamaha WR450f
Honda CRf450X
Suzuki DRZ400

all super low maintenance, can be ridden easy or hard. all reliable and budget friendly, all great bikes.

KTM 400/450/525/530, 07-older are RFS, great power plant. 08-11 xc4, great power plants but can be a little finicky until sorted, better chassis. 12-up single sump xc4, great engines, even better chassis. Fun bikes!

IMHO hours and riding being equal between KTM and jap they wont need any more or less maintenance. KTM tends to get a high maintenance rep because owners tend to flog them. :laughing:

at your weight you will need to budget in a spring swap f/r.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Limited dirt experience? I'd avoid a 450. 250F all the way (or 125-200 2-stroke if you wanted to go that route). Wringing out a 125 for all it is worth is the most fun you can have on a dirt bike IMO.

The Husqvarnas are tall bikes. Parts can be a bit hit and miss right now with the sale of the company, but it seems to be coming around.

All the modern bikes are decent, so it is really just personal preference and what color you want :flipoff2:
I've got two huskys.. I ride a '10 TE450, and my fiance rides a '13 TE310... They are tall bikes, but you get used to it.. If my 450 wasn't payed for I'd be trading it in on a 310 in a heart beat even though the 450 is better on the road... the 310 had to be geared down so much for my fiance to control it in the tough trails it taps out pretty quick on the road..

Parts are hard to get.. especially if your dealer hires lazy dicks to work for him.. Took me 6 months to get a wheel for the 310 when it got bent in a mishap..

performance wise.. they're a shit load of a bike.... but imo they've lost their appeal because the price is really creeping up there with all the other brands..

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Yea for what you got with the the Italian Huskies, they were a great deal (have an 09 125 and a plated '11 TXC250)

If you can find them, there are leftover '12/'13/early '14 bikes that are still new for great prices (I believe it is up to $2500 off of msrp).

·
Registered
233 Posts
You want a DRZ400, XR400, KTM350exc, KTM400. If your not in good shape and like you said, limited dirtbike experience.....a 450 is going to rip your arms off and land you on your ass when you get in a sticky situation. a 450 is nice powerwise though if you think you will "grow" into it. I'm 6'2" and weigh 240......A 250 4 stroke is a joke...you don't want it. It may be fun for the first few rides, but you'll be looking for more. Borrow someone else's and you'll get the idea.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Lol, yes you will die on a 450. Instant death.

I sure as hell wouldn't piss away my money on a 250 4 stroke.

There is a third option. It has to do with self control. Buy a bike you won't be disappointed with in three rides at realize you can't just grab a handful of throttle on the bigger bike.

·
Registered
623 Posts
you need a 450. just gear it down if you feel like your going to die.
I have a plated ktm 500 and its the best for dual sports but they are NOT cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts