Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing dual t-cases at the moment and have a stupid question. I haven't picked up a toyota shop manual but hope to soon. (local toyota dealership didn't have them in stock)

I am trying to seperate the original t-case, split the reduction gear section away from the splitting section. So far I have removed the bolts that physically hold the two sections of the cases together, but am having trouble seperating them. What else needs to be removed to seperate the housing? Do I need to pull the rear d-shaft flange off and get inside the housing that way?? I am able to seperate them about 2" and then it stops, and I'm stumped. None of the manuals I have give internal diagrams. Please help!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
YOu need to pull the entire shaft apart! all the c-clips you can find and drive the pins out of one of the shift forks! The first time I broke one of these down it took me 4 hours, now I due them in 15 min!! I have only done about 8 crawler installs! Wish I could tell you, but you need to just figure it out! you really can't screw it up.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Leonard (Leni) John Moore:
<STRONG>...I haven't picked up a toyota shop manual but hope to soon. (local toyota dealership didn't have them in stock)
</STRONG>
Leni, Factory Service Manuals are available on ebay on a regular basis...the 84/85's are most expensive, around $50 with other years a little less. There is a Toyota 800# that carries publications...the '85 runs around $90, although I've heard disputed reports that they are out of publication.

I have a 85 manual, let me know if you want any pages faxed to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by Leonard (Leni) John Moore:
<STRONG>I am installing dual t-cases at the moment and have a stupid question. I haven't picked up a toyota shop manual but hope to soon. (local toyota dealership didn't have them in stock)

I am trying to seperate the original t-case, split the reduction gear section away from the splitting section. So far I have removed the bolts that physically hold the two sections of the cases together, but am having trouble seperating them. What else needs to be removed to seperate the housing? Do I need to pull the rear d-shaft flange off and get inside the housing that way?? I am able to seperate them about 2" and then it stops, and I'm stumped. None of the manuals I have give internal diagrams. Please help!!!!</STRONG>
I sent you an E-mail this should help.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Skulls138:
<STRONG>I sent you an E-mail this should help.</STRONG>
I got you e-mail. It'll help imensley. I'm going to check on ebay. I never thought of looking there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Originally posted by superbob:
<STRONG>I got you e-mail. It'll help imensley. I'm going to check on ebay. I never thought of looking there.</STRONG>
I just noticed that you're in TX. Where in TX are you?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not that i matters now but i had the same problem a couple weeks ago, You need to pull the tail flange (30mm), remove the 7 bolts then knock then roll pin out of the shift fork on the pass side of the t case. Then the whole thing will come apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts